Thursday, January 25, 2024

TGIFF & The Bride's Quilt II ~ A New Sew Along

Welcome to TGIFF ~ Thank Goodness It's Finished Friday and Melva Loves Scraps.

I am excited to be announcing a new(ish) revamped Sew Along ~ The Bride's Quilt II!  I have been allowing an idea to marinate and develop for some time.


But first
... I'll share my most recent finish.  This vintage postcard panel is our newest table topper for the season. This type of project is a great way to practice FMQ and to refresh the muscle memory of your movement for size and timing. I did stippling in the background areas (though it is hard to see), twisted ribbons in borders, outlined details of the flowers and leaves and a cross-hatch over the "medallion" area.  You might notice a small tag in the lower left corner... it was one of the tags from my Advent calendar that I bought - Kylie & the Machine tags... there was an assortment of fun little tags with cute sayings, and I thought "MWAH" was a perfect addition to this table topper. 👄💖

Here are a few shots of details...




On to my announcement... 

In 2022, I hosted the Pieces in the Garden Row quilt that was based on the story of a Bride's Quilt and the life of my Maternal Grandmother, Tressie Teegarden.  This quilt was a row quilt made of 15 different blocks, varying in sizes 3-inch, 4-inch and 6-inch.  Some of the blocks were quite challenging just because of the tiny pieces... as well as the need for multiples of 8, 12 or 16.  

I was more than pleased with the finished quilt but have to admit that it ended up being much more a challenge than I had anticipated.


The Bride's Quilt II, a sampler quilt, will have 12-inch blocks.  Here's a few photos of quilts I made a several years ago... in 2011.

The sew along quilt will include 12 blocks, all traditionally pieced. 

I have a fat-quarter bundle in various shades of blue on order and have begun re-writing patterns from the Pieces in the Garden.

In previous sew alongs I have had a story accompany the block/pattern.  This one will be a little different... This time I want your quilt to tell your story.  I will have pages with a series of questions included with the pattern. Here's a sample...




Watch for details of start date... I'd love to hear if you are interested in joining in.  Leave me a comment. :)

It is now your turn... share your recent finish in the party.

(I was asked to kindly note that this linkup is for finishes... but I'll just leave it up to you to define "finished". 😁   I know that I have several "finished" steps... the main part of a quilt top prior to adding borders, a completed top, a quilt that has the quilting completed... and then there is a finally finished quilt with binding.... like I said, I'll let you define finish. 😉)  Thanks for joining me!

Keep Piecing,

Melva

Linking with:


6 comments:

  1. I do have a partial finish, all the Dresden Blocks are completed! The 2022 Row by Row quilt is very pretty! Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a pretty tabletopper, Melva! I love the sweet borders you put on the panel. I would be interested in sewing along with you. I'm intrigued by the idea of making a quilt telling my family's story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melva, your 2022 Pieces in the Garden Row quilt is gorgeous! I wish I had time to participate in a sew along. Good providence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your finish! It is so sweet and what a lovely table topper. I might just try to sewalong....it is an interesting concept. How frequent will the blocks come? That will be the kicker with my spring being pretty flat out at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea for a QAL. I love the concept of answering family questions to accompany each block.

    ReplyDelete