Thursday, January 11, 2024

Double Finish


The weather outside was terrible... it was cold... It was snowing and it was windy.  It was wintering outside like it hasn't wintered for a while.  I was quite content staying inside, whether in my studio quilting the TOPS quilt or in the living room as I hand-quilted my sweet, silky elephants.

The interstate was closed in both directions. Yet, Dave was out in this storm clearing our driveway...and it was still snowing and drifting.  Then he went to a nearby neighbor who is 70+ years.  Then... then... then... He was really enjoying his time on his tractor.  Boy and their toys, right?  When the snow stopped, the sun returned shortly after and we were off to my Mom's house.  She and two other houses share a long driveway that is just off the highway.  The highway was open... the driveway is private and no one was available to clear it. **sigh** I will be glad when the snow removal is no longer our responsibility.  Twelve inches of snow was a lot to remove by shovel and snowblower.  No fun...

However, as I stated, for as long as I could, I was content with my quilting.


The TOPS quilt was my first "storm" finish.  It is approximately 40"x60".  The grid, on point, is spaced at 3 inches using navy thread.  The binding is a flange style binding with a bright pink and a floral/bird print I located in my stash.  I have no recollection of where it came from, but it was just enough... and it was perfect.

And the reverse tie-dyed fabric was right at home in the supporting role of backing.


The Silk Elephants table runner was not far behind in the finishing line up.


I love the final result! The wool batting, once washed and dried, really offered some extra texture to the runner.  After some shrinkage, it measures 28-1/2" x 9-1/2".  I'm sure it will find the perfect home... though it may not be mine since I have absolutely no idea where I would place it.

A small snowbank from the blizzard and snow removal did make a nice background...


I know that much of the United States is bracing for the arctic blast of temps and as I write, we are getting more snow.  Though this storm is supposed to have less accumulation.  For this, I am very grateful.  I am already dreaming of a trip to warmer temperatures.  We are planning to head to Arizona in March...

We are currently looking at options.... mainly around Tucson and Phoenix. 

Do you have any suggestions?  
Are there any quilt shops or guilds that I should contact?

Places that are a "must see" or a "don't stay here" are all welcome. Leave a comment... we want to hear what you have to say.

Keep Piecing,

Melva

Linking with:

m




9 comments:

  1. The Arizona States Guild has a quilt show every year in Mesa. It's March 21, 22 & 23. Here is the link -https://www.arizonaquiltersguild.org/Quilt-Show. I've attended several time and really enjoyed the show. March is a lovely time to visit the Phoenix area. Enjoy your visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Two finishes in a single week. Isn't January in the US a great time to hunker down in the studio?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your flange binding, it's a beautiful and happy finish! Cute elephants too, I'm sure you will find a place for your runner.
    Take care and stay safe, this winter looks very cold and stromy.
    Thank you for sharing these finishes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That first picture summed it up right --- BRRRRR!! Love the orange elephants.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are beauties Melva! I have been absent awhile, just trying to get things caught up, and not be online so much. BUT, I miss reading your posts, so I finally did the email thing! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. A couple of lovely finishes - that elephant one is sure eye-catching! Thanks for linking up with TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely finishes! We got the cold and a little snow, thankful it wasn't more!! Each year Hubster thinks about buying a snow blower, and each year he doesn't. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Melva, those are great finishes. Congrats! Thanks for linking up to Free Motion Mavericks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that snow removal should count as a finish ( at least for the day) too!! LOVE that elephant!!!

    ReplyDelete