Friday, August 11, 2023

Never Give Up

Reverse Tie Dying... Take 3 🎥LOL!

When you are not pleased with the results the first time, try, try again.



Attempt #1 (at Family Camp Weekend), wrong bleach... no change.





Attempt #2, too densely folded on most of the fabric and the bleach did not saturate through.

Attempt #3, SUCCESS!  (sort of...)
Attempt three found me in the garage with letters cut from cardstock, a spray bottle full of bleach solution and fingers crossed.


I cut the fabric to size to make pillowcases and placed them on a makeshift "table of storage bins covered with a vinyl tablecloth. Letters in place, I began spritzing the area around the letters.  I could see almost immediately that it was working out as I had hoped and desired.

I moved on pillowcase #2 for Maggie... the letters were a little more delicate and narrow that Emma's were... and the pink fabric was changing as drastically or as quickly as the blue fabric had.  I left it to sit hang in the sun (the exposure to the sun speeds the process) for a little longer.  Once dry, I dipped it into the rinsing solution to stop the bleaching process (if left for too long it can damage the fabric).  

Not completely pleased with the results I turned the fabric and tried a free-hand version of the name.  It was just different... While I wasn't completely pleased with the results, it made a fun pillowcase anyway.

I still wanted to try a swirl pattern so I grabbed the fabric slated for Hanna and prepped the fabric.  Once swirled and soaked with water, I sprayed and squirted it with the bleaching solution... placed it in the sun and waited. 

When I finally could not wait any longer, I unfolded it and discovered this...



It was still not what I had expected... maybe it was because I grew impatient.  Maybe it was because the fabric had been soaked in water before having the bleach solution applied (further diluting the solution?) that it is bleached to a different color.  With the center of the swirl pattern started in a different place, it does offer an interesting look.  Now I need to figure out what to do with this.  Little Hanna is just 2 years old and doesn't have a 'big girl' pillow.  I have made her a little "peasant" dress with it.

Isn't it just adorable??? I am waiting for a measurement from my daughter so that I can finish it.  If it needs to be just a bit longer, I'll add a ruffle. 

I still have the orange fabric (that had been selected for Tyshan) to experiment with.  His will certainly be made into a pillowcase that I will use coordinating Denver Bronco fabric with. 

All in all, I am happy with the projects that I have completed.  The fabric (un)dying has been a fun experiment and experience, but I am ready to move on and simply utilize the fabrics.  I am already planning to incorporate pieces of each of these reverse dying fabrics into a mini-quilt.  Watch for it!

My visit to the chiropractor helped me and I will slowly return to the sewing table for longer stretches of time, with plenty of breaks to stretch and walk around.  I'll begin working on the third memory quilt for my customer by getting fusible interfacing on the blocks.  It will be another black and white quilt, at the request of the recipient.  

Slow and steady is what I will be repeating to myself as I sit.  Of course, the piecing stage of making the quilt is not when I find myself sitting for so long.  I am up and down as I grab t-shirt blocks off of the design wall and cut the strips.  But still... I am finally able to raise up my left leg to get pants on without discomfort.  I don't want to go back to that! I'll be setting a timer to remind me to move around.

In fact, I need to get moving and do some laundry...

How often do you take breaks from quilting? 
What do you do during your breaks?

Leave a comment... I'd love to hear your answers. 

Keep Piecing,

Melva

Linking with:

m

11 comments:

  1. That's a neat experiment. Thanks for sharing your results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep my ironing board far enough away that I have to get up often to walk to it, and that helps. And hubby will come in periodically and remind me. I really should set a timer anyway, as I do have lower back issues showing up. Your dye experiments were interesting. You ended up with nice projects anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue. I don't really suffer much when piecing. It is during the quilting stage that I really NEED a timer. Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  3. Your perseverance paid off - those fabrics look great! I look forward to seeing a quilt made from your experiments. Glad your back is better. I am up and down a lot when piecing. My ironing table is right behind me, so I don't travel very far. I'm usually up letting a dog in or out or petting the kitties or talking to my husband. It seems like I don't sit for long at a time, but maybe I do and don't realize it.
    Thank you again for my beautiful mini and that wonderful portable sewing tray!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The green dress is a perfect solution for someone without a pillow. She will love it. The personalized pillowcases are sure to be a hit, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to seeing her in it! Thanks for stopping by for a visit.

      Delete
  5. Well, I think those projects turned out terrific, and the kids will love them! Thanks for going through that process to show us what to do and what to avoid. I sit for long periods of time while sewing, especially if I iron at my seat instead of getting up, and my "hinges" hurt! I have set my iron up at the opposite end of the room to make myself get up. The chair makes a difference too. 45 minutes seems to be a good break time for me. Also, my husband just installed a bathroom downstairs, so now I don't even need to walk upstars for a break, but I need to rethink that just to get more steps in! Thank you for linking up with TGIFF today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deonn for the visit and kind words... as well as the chance to share in TGIFF. 😊 I would opt for the stairs for a few more steps as well.

      Delete
  6. Woo Hoo! I love it!! Never give up! The fabrics look great and the little green dress is absolutely darling.

    ReplyDelete