Monday, March 7, 2022

Monday Musings... 3/7/2022 And Tuesday's To-Do


Just when we thought Spring was on its way for a return, we had another cold front pass through and bring more snow.  Bleh... I am tired of winter.  Anyone else? 🙋 We knew the cold weather was returning and we took full advantage of the warmer days and the drier ground to load the camper onto the truck.  YAY!!!

We have made a slight adjustment to our plans to miss a rush on the beaches of Galveston during spring break.  Ohhhhh... I can almost taste it!  

But this also means that I will have a few extra days to get meals planned and pre-cooked (as much as I can anyway) as I store away a "stash" of meals in the freezer. 


It also means that I will have to wait a few extra days to get to the big-stitch quilting I have planned for the Orphan No More Quilt.  The machine quilting is done, as is the binding.  Some may think this is a bit of a backwards approach since quilting is usually done completely before binding.  I have my selection of variegated thread ready to go.  Did you see the full photo?  I'd love to be able to say I got some great shots... but since it is well below freezing I cannot say this. 😪  So... this is the best I can do right now.  Maybe I'll be able to get some good shots on the beach???  I hope so. Getting the quilting completed on this quilt is my March One Month Goal.


As I continue to plan... items on my To-Do List are:


❧ The instagram quilt fest is still going (and will through the month of March) and I am carefully planning for each day's prompt and getting posts prepared for scheduling.  You can follow along by following the highlighted link above.

❧ Patterns for blocks #3 & 4 of the Pieces in the Garden Sew Along need to be written out... and tested.  (Most of these blocks are already assembled)

❧ and blocks #5 & 6 need to be pieced, written and tested.

The pattern for Row 2 (3" Friendship Star) is available.  Did you get your bow blocks made?  Karen was the only one to link up her completed blocks and is the winner of the free 1-ounce selection of tea from Corner Stone Tea Company.  Congratulations!  I will open the link up again for those that may want to add their completed blocks.

Other random thoughts I have had...

We still need to paint the living room, beginning with the ceiling.  Ugh... such a big project!  At least the drywall dust has been cleaned up.  

I have blueberries in the fridge that need to be used in muffins before they go bad...

I really just want to sit and do some hand quilting...  but I need to do some spring cleaning.  I long to throw open the windows and door and do a deep clean.  How 'bout you?  dust, vaccuum, shampoo carpet, mop the floors after this long "mudding" season... and more. 

Do you do spring cleaning?
What does it entail?  

Leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you.

Stay calm and keep piecing,

Melva

Linking with:

Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt
Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
This & That at Days Filled with Joy
To Do Tuesday at Texas Quilt Gal
Mid-week Makers at Quilt Fabrication
Wednesday Wait Loss at The Inquiring Quilter
Stitch Sew & Show at Life in the Scrap Patch
Put Your Foot Down at For the Love of Geese
Needle & Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation











14 comments:

  1. Gosh, no spring cleaning here - we do well to get it done once a week - lol! We do spring clean the outdoor garden beds, does that count? ;) Can't wait to see your shot of the quilt on the beach. Don't blame you for wanting to miss those spring break crowds - ugh. We visited Galveston beach many times when we lived north of Houston. I hope you enjoy your trip!
    An early "thanks" for linking up with To Do Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melva. We are expecting a very cold spell starting tomorrow after having temps in the high 70's all last week. Yuck---I am so tired of the cold wet days. I worked outside all last week doing some yard cleanup, but there is so much more to do.
    Do I do Spring cleaning? Definitely ,yes! I think my mom drummed that into me when I was little and helped her. I wash all the walls and windows,take all the curtains down and wash them, thoroughly clean all the stuff on the walls and do-dads sitting around, clean my stove and refrigerator, and scrub anything else that needs it. I usually climb up in a chair to reach the high stuff, but now my husband yells at me so I miss a little of the things. LOL But it does look better. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I am dong Fall cleaning :) At least I was until I got sick... I'm very keen to see how your Orphan no more quilting will look like - your backwards method does make sense to me :) Hope it warms up for you soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your sampler quilt--I am in the process of starting one using various blocks from different books--a memory quilt of sorts--I think choosing colors is most difficult for this project. Yours look so terrific together..lovely work.
    It may be called Spring Break, but we here in SE CT are still in the throes of Mr. Winter but we are having a few more temperate days; it's still really cold out there...

    We don't Spring clean per se, but the "clean out and de-clutter" bug hits me this time of year. We try to take one area--like our spare room closet-- and do that over the course of a few days (or weeks!!) but it seems that as soon as we open up a spot--other things mysteriously get shoved in. Hugs Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  5. No spring cleaning here yet either, but today the temps are going to feel more like spring. Your Orphans quilt is a pretty one, and I'll look forward to seeing the big stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not spring cleaning here...it's nowhere near spring weather yet, though the sun is shining beautifully on the foot of snow we still have. That quilt looks fun and reminds me of one that I made for my aunt of various blocks I and my daughters had made as I taught them to sew. She loved it and one of my daughters now owns it. Since I just discovered your blog, I also just learned about the Instagram quilt festival. Thanks for posting about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Melva! Tired of winter?? What?? Why, might I ask? Yes, of course I am sick of winter. We had snow yesterday, too. Today the sun is shining bright and clear, and is working hard on melting that snow. I figure it's giving the bulbs that just started peeking out a much-needed drink of crisp cold water. You can almost hear them saying, ahh, and smacking their lips after the drink. A few extra days to prepare is always great! More prepared meals, more items to remember that you might have left behind - win/win. Oh yes, please make some blueberry muffins to enjoy on the journey. Gosh, nothing is better than those muffins with fresh or fresh-frozen blueberries. Makes my mouth water. My mom used to make them very often. Her recipe called for buttermilk which she would then enjoy a glass of the leftover. I've been jonesing to take everything out of the sewing room and clean the heck out of it. It needs to be thoroughly vacuumed. I love doing that kind of thing! It looks so good when it is finished. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes, over winter but winter is not done with us here in Ontario. Mind you, the temps are inching upwards so spring is coming. You sure keep busy! Just a few things on the go as always. Happy Big Stitch quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your Orphan No More quilt and the hand quilting will be fun. I, too, am longing for spring, but sooooon. I don't love to clean but love getting fresh air in the house. I almost did that, but chickened out the other day - it was still a little chilly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do spring clean but it is still winter in Maine! I wait til I can open windows and let fresh air in. Then I wash windows, all floors as I have wood floors, clean area rugs and furniture best I can with the machine I have. I usually take everything out of cupboards and closets and sort through but I hesitate to do that as I have a pineapple quilt to finish for my granddaughter's July wedding and as spring approaches much yard work. So that may have to wait for fall. I will clean bathrooms very thoroughly but sewing room got overhauled in January so that is probably not as much to handle. I have not started block of month as I would like to as I really need to work on the pineapple. And I have had other projects with time constraints which I have finished. One was a commissioned tee shirt quilt. I had never made one but I think it came out pretty well. So that is me.!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I try to spring clean as best I can but sometimes gardening chores get in the way! Still I try to keep house on a regular basis anyway

    ReplyDelete
  12. No spring cleaning yet, we are still in Mudville! I am about ready to put away the flannel sheets. Maybe just the top and pillowcases this time, and then we’ll see how it goes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea to use big stitch quilting on your orphan quilt! Love the thread you've chosen. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I so know about the weather. We are very warm right now but rain and cooler weather is coming in on Friday. Do I start a fire or not. I love your quilt. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down.

    ReplyDelete