Monday, December 6, 2021

Cradle to Quilt

I love, L❤ve, L💗VE to make memory quilts for family, friends and customers!

The latest memory quilt is made with little lovey blankets that accompanied Disney Babies.  With each trip to Disney World a little girl got a new Baby.

That same little girl is now 6 feet tall but still a small girl in her heart and wants to have all of her lovey blankets made into a quilt.  

I'd say she is a smart and very mature young lady to make such a request!

It has been fun working with these little blankets that varied in color, size and texture.  When making such a quilt you can achieve a better success by applying fusible interfacing to stabilize the fabrics.  Those fuzzy, stretchy and slickery (yes that really is a word!) fabrics like to move around way too much without it.

I dug into my stash for some juvenile prints to coordinate with the squares.  Thanks to the various contributions from friends over the years, I had a great variety and I had plenty!

It is ready for a border, but I am undecided about what to do... I am open to suggestions!  Leave a comment if you have an idea. 

None the less... It will have to wait for a few more days because I have more pressing matters to handle right now.  While I only had two items on last week's To-do List (this memory quilt was one of them)  I didn't completely finish either of the tasks.

And since I drug my feet  completely forgot (because I was having such fun with the memory quilt) about getting the pattern written for the final installment of the Pieces of the Santa Fe Trail sew along, it is now a serious matter since it is to be published on December 16th.

So... the list for the coming week?

❧  Write final installment for the Pieces of the Santa Fe Trail sew along and get the last pattern written and tested

❧  Meet with the local quilt shop about partnering for a block of the month event featuring the Pieces From the Past patterns

❧  Finish the Disney Babies Memory Quilt

❧  Pull out decorations for Christmas... and then if I have time 🕑 make a few quilted ornaments to include on gifts

Do you have an idea for the border???  I have considered a piano key border... or some other sort of "scrappy" border to match the scrappiness  variety of the lovies that are featured.

Stay pieceful,

Melva 

Linking with:

Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt
Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
To Do Tuesday at Texas Quilt Gal
Mid-week Makers at Quilt Fabrication
Wednesday Wait Loss at The Inquiring Quilter
Stitch Sew & Show at Life in the Scrap Patch
Put Your Foot Down at For the Love of Geese
Needle & Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation


9 comments:

  1. I think a piano key border would suit it

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun idea for a quilt; I'm sure she will love it. I think a piano key border would work, but how about also auditioning a signature block (what I call a half snowball) and have the blocks alternate so it looks like a ribbon border (clear as mud??).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think a single disney print as a plain border to hold it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I must be emotional today. When I read "That same little girl is now 6 feet tall but still a small girl in her heart" I got instant tears, still tearing up! Goodness. It's really a lovely quilt. I love piano key borders, but I like Wendy's idea too!
    Thank you for linking your post to To Do Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful quilt there! I love memory quilts and cherishing the memories of our lives. I too love piano key borders. Good luck ! Stay safe and sew on !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think because there's so much pattern with the fabrics in the center, maybe a solid border would pull it all together. Maybe mock up a piano key on one side and a solid on the other side of the design wall and see what looks better? Good luck! Sometimes border decisions are agonizing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. since I have not been to Disneyland since I was a teen, and never played with dolls I did not know that their dolls came with blankies. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great memory for her! I might try to find a Disney fabric for the border, perhaps adding solid pink princess crowns in applique. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is lovely and is she is so lucky to still have those treasures to request a quilt. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down.

    ReplyDelete