Friday, December 10, 2021

A DrEAMI Friday - Scrappy Placemats

The morning started very early... 5:30 a.m.  While I am definitely a morning person, even that was a little early for me.  Dave was headed out with a friend to enjoy a very chilly morning watching the dawn come in as he waited for some deer to wander by.  Sadly, he only saw the sunrise and a few birds.

As I laid there in bed unable to go back to sleep my thoughts turned toward a scrappy project.  I prepped a single serving of "slow cooker overnight oats".  Have you seen one of those single serving crockpots?  Usually intended, I think, for a cheese dip or spinach artichoke dip.  I dropped in 1/4 cup steel cut oats, diced apples and dried cherries with some maple sugar and 3/4 cup apple juice.  I prepped a cup of hot chai tea and then went to my chair to enjoy some quiet time.


As I wrapped that up I considered what quilty project I would work on... The Disney Babies quilt is ready for quilting... but I had the idea (a DrEAMI project) that caused me to Drop Everything And Make It... I pulled out my scrap bin and some pre-cut 1-1/2" wide strips. I wanted to try my hand at making these placemats.  I found the double flying geese FPP pattern by doing a search on my favorite search engine.

I had planned on helping a friend learn foundation paper piecing back in September but it never worked out that our schedules meshed.

By 8 a.m. my studio looked like my scraps had exploded!  But I was having a great time and it didn't matter.  

When my tummy had a rumble in it I stopped to eat breakfast and the oats were perfect!  After a shower I returned to the studio...  

By afternoon I had to placemats pieced, quilted and with a scrappy binding from my scrap trims box!  The bias tape worked perfectly for the rounded corners...


My friend had wanted to make some placemats for her camper... she will be the recipient of these 100% scrap items.  They are just slightly smaller than placemats that might be purchased.  But, of course, campers are always a little more compact!  If she wants a few more, I will have still have the opportunity to give her a lesson!

Have you had a DrEAMI project lately?  

Leave a comment...  I'd love to hear from you!

Piece Out,

Melva

P.S. I'll be headed to bed a little earlier than normal tonight.  I'm tired!  😴

Linking with:

Can I Get A Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Off The Wall Friday with Nina Marie
Brag About Your Beauties at From Bolt to Beauty
Peacock Party at Wendy’s Quilts and More
Friday Foto Fun at Powered by Quilting
Finished or Not Friday at Alycia Quilts
Oh Scrap! at Quilting is More Fun Than Housework
Sunday Stash at QuiltPaintCreate
Patchwork & Quilts at The Quilting Patch
Scrap Happy Saturday at Super Scrappy
Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt
Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
Oh Scrap! at Quilting is More Fun Than Housework







19 comments:

  1. I bet you will be heading to bed a bit earlier! Those placemats are so pretty and fun! The flying geese go perfectly with the camper theme! Your oatmeal had my mouth watering! How long do you cook it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute for a camper! What a great way to spend your “just me” day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melva I just love these placemats! A great way to make something fun and use a few of our 'tons' of scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melva that placemat link didn't work for me, it says Content Not Available. Was there a pattern for it or just a photo?

    ReplyDelete
  5. No dreams for me, but I can live vicariously can't I? I am on a tight schedule and with some work being done in my house, where I thought I would have some peace to sew, I will now have people in and out for most of the week. I hope to finish one or two small projects, then I am done until the week after Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, those are the best kind of days - so satisfying in so many ways! The placemats looks so nice with those rounded corners. She will be delighted! Rest well tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What great placemats! Your friend will be thrilled to receive this gift.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun with your Dreami project! Your placemats turned out really pretty. I have not tried the oats in the crockie, but I will definitely do that. Silly me, I had not thought to use my smaller "cheese dip" crockpot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great Dreami Project... although - I think that might be a side effect of waking up to early hahaha! Just kidding. those will be a perfect gift!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your placemats, it's a great squirrel project! I hope you get some rest after this very early start!
    Thanks for sharing, and linking up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Melva, those are really great placemats. I love the Flying Geese FPP and the curved edges. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What fun little place mats, Melva! Those rounded corners came out great. Did you have to clip the binding around the curves to get it to lay so smoothly for you? Thanks for linking up with me for TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Melva, those are some great placemats ! crafty and colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice placemats. Smart move to make them slightly smaller. Yea for moving some more scraps out of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Do you have instructions to make the center part of the placemats (the part using HSTs)? I would love to make these - I have a “ton” of scraps. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a search for double flying geese and found it. If you email me at MelvaLovesScraps(at)NolanQualityCustoms(dot)com I can send you what I used. :)

      Delete