Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Tuesday's To-Do Time Out

Last week was going along fine... until it wasn't.  

✔  I was pleased with the progress of the "Love Grows Here" quilt that is a wedding gift for a niece.


I had filled in the blanks spaces and had the blocks joined together to form the rows, paying close attention to the placement of the blocks.  On Saturday I sewed the rows together, again paying close attention to make sure that I didn't get one out of place.  I had three rows left... I was so close!

As I was sewing I noticed that the stitching wasn't as nice and even as I expected, and the fabric was not feeding through properly.  I pushed my way through it, got all of the rows attached and held it up.  **Ugh**

There was a problem.  What was supposed to be the last row ended up as the third row from the bottom.  Off I went with Jack.  Ripping out is never fun, but when the stitching isn't quite right it is even less fun.  

My husband came in to invite me for a walk and then saw me with seam ripper and asked, "is now not a good time?"  I threw the top and Jack down and went for a walk.  I resumed the ripping when dinner was done.

Sunday morning I had decided I would "quickly" go sew those last rows back on.  Again, struggling through the feeding and stitching issue, I finished and held it up...


NNNOOOOOOOOO!  I did it again!  

The tears came flooding out along with so many other emotions and feelings tied to so much more than this quilt...  

I threw the top onto my studio table and walked out.  Dave didn't understand and didn't know what to say or do.  All I needed was to be held.

I was overwhelmed.  I was tired.  I was angry. I was hurt. I was... the list goes on and on.  But it really came down to I had reached the point of burn out.

I had not had any time away or "off" since our week in July... and It. Was. Time.  it was overdue...

We left on Sunday after lunch and returned Tuesday afternoon.  It wasn't long enough, and I knew that it wouldn't be, but the time was sweet and it restful.  

I sat down with Jack upon our return, between loads of laundry.  We both apologized and then went to work.  When Dave saw me with Jack again, he said "Before you sew anything else together, I will look at it with you."  I love this guy!


❧  I need a border, probably a white muslin, the same size as the blocks, and then I'll be sandwiching and quilting it.  I am thinking free-motion feathers in the white hearts and stippling everywhere else.

Finishing this wedding quilt is my One Month Goal. :)

✔  Summer Camp Sewing Challenges...

Another block that will be part of the sew any 10 blocks.
I won't be pushing myself much this week.  Well, let's be honest... the week is half gone already!  

I have two more tops to quilt from my best customer, but she too is taking a bit of a break so she is understanding in the fact that it may be a few weeks before they are done.  

Maybe the summer heat has gotten to both of us.  Whatever it may be, I know I am not alone in being ready for a nice long fall!  

Fall is probably my favorite season.  Spring follows closely behind, but I struggle more with allergy symptoms then.  Summer is too hot and winter is too cold... Are you ready for fall too?

What is your favorite season? And why?

Leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!

Stay Piece-ful,

Melva

PS - Block #8 of the Santa Fe Trail Sew Along is released tomorrow!  Are you ready?

Linking with:

Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt
Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
To Do Tuesday at Chris Knits & Sews
Mid-week Makers at Quilt Fabrication
Wednesday Wait Loss at The Inquiring Quilter
Stitch Sew & Show at Life in the Scrap Patch
Put Your Foot Down at For the Love of Geese
Needle & Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
Can I Get A Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Off The Wall Friday with Nina Marie
Brag About Your Beauties at From Bolt to Beauty
Peacock Party at Wendy’s Quilts and More
Friday Foto Fun at Powered by Quilting
Finished or Not Friday at Alycia Quilts
One Month Goal at Elm Street Quilts

10 comments:

  1. Oh Melva I had to LOL at "is now not a good time?" But I cried right along with you and am so glad you took a little getaway. But Love Grows Here is just beautiful!
    Fall is my favorite too, but it is followed closely by winter, then spring, then summer is last. I much prefer cold to hot. I love fall and winter because those seasons, for some reason, remind me of growing up in northeast Oklahoma.
    Thank you for joining To-Do Tuesday, and in case you didn't see Chris's update, she has consented to me taking over To-Do Tuesday duties for her. You an find the linkup next Tuesday at https://www.texasquiltgal.com/
    Hope you have a great rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you were able to get a little vacation time to destress. What a great guy - love the offer to look before you sewed it together. He is a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand needing to get away as it has been over two years since our last vacation. The quilt is beautiful. My favourite time of year is late spring through early fall. I don't care for winter because of the ice and snow. It usually last here from November through April so it is a long haul.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've all been there, when sewing is not fun and becomes a chore instead. Walking away is the best solution. So glad your hubby understood and took you on a small vacation. I hope you're feeling better soon! Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great gift that quilt is going to be, Melva!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh no! you were wise to take a break away from the stress to recharge! glad it finally went together right! ps....I've sewn long pieces together wrong two or three times in a row, so I understand your pain. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to hear you got a short break. You have been very busy. I am always amazed at how much you accomplish. I hope you are able to find a balance between work and rest that helps you accomplish your goals while taking care of your personal needs. I used to love fall best ... the colors and the harvest and the weather. I also find the summers too hot and the winters too long and cold with too much snow and ice to clear. Because of the recent winters, I think I may have become a spring person. I have felt so housebound in the winter. Spring is new beginnings ... and the summers are usually shorter here than the winters ... and I am also looking forward to fall. Winter means there will be spring again. I guess I like four seasons. Sorry for the ramble. Thank you for linking up this week ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your heart quilt. Great design.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The heart quilt is going to be a great gift Melva

    ReplyDelete
  10. While I am loving that quilt - I have to say - your Hubby wins in this story!! what a keeper and a sweetie!!

    ReplyDelete