Sunday, September 26, 2021

Love Grows Here

 My September One Month Goal was to finish the wedding quilt for our niece Janna. 



"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."  1 Corinthians 13:4-7

It takes the effort of both individuals to foster, nurture and grow a marriage with these attributes.  And I believe that Janna and Justin are just the perfect couple to do this.  


When I began considering a design for their quilt I chose a heart... the symbol of love.  Janna and Justin had dated for a period of time, had gone their separate ways but continued to see each other within their circle of friends.  Eventually they were a couple again... with a stronger relationship with the Lord and with each other.

One of my favorite memories of Janna is from when she was just a toddler.  It was in the summer of 1995 when we had been in Illinois to assist with the cleaning out of my mother-in-law's condo after her passing away a few month earlier.

We were outside and there were some flower pots along their driveway. Janna found a green caterpillar.  She was excitedly telling us about how she found this "geen worm".  We asked "what did you do with the geen worm?"  She replied in her little toddler voice "I pud id in da pants."  With wide eyes we responded with "you put in your pants?  Why did you put the worm in your pants?"  


She emphatically stated "not my pants... the pants!" pointing to a flower pot sitting on the edge of the driveway.  "Oh!  The plants!"    

She is now a beautiful young woman, a follower of Christ and a student of law... ready to become a loving wife.

The words of wisdom I offer is "Do not view the wedding ceremony as the finish line of the relationship.  It is the just the beginning!"  


I had my fair share of challenges as I tried to finish this gift, though I pressed on despite them.  This quilt has my blood, sweat, tears and prayers stitched into every square inch!  (Don't worry... the blood washed out!)  I forgot to switch thread colors, not just once, but twice!  But it didn't really matter in the end...  

I went in search of a flower garden for the photo shoot and am in love with what I got.  This particular shot captured the detail of the feathers as well as the vines and leaves...


What words of wisdom would you offer to a couple about to marry?

Leave a comment!  I'd love to hear from you...

Stay Pieceful,

Melva

Linking with:

One Month Goal at Elm Street Quilts
Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt
Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
Mid-week Makers at Quilt Fabrication
Wednesday Wait Loss at The Inquiring Quilter
Stitch Sew & Show at Life in the Scrap Patch
Put Your Foot Down at For the Love of Geese
Needle & Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
Favorite Finish at Meadow Mist Designs

11 comments:

  1. I love your advice. My dad told me on our wedding day to remember we’d just joined to form a family and that we each had to put that ahead of our other family and our friends. We never commit to things without discussing it with the other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt is a beauty, they will treasure it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janna and Justin look very in love - what an attractive couple! The quilt is beautiful. Now I'm wondering if I should do a heart theme in the wedding quilt I'm planning.
    When I was going through a difficult time in our marriage, I told my Daddy that I no longer loved my husband. He gently told me yes I still did. He said "once you've loved someone, that love never goes away." I didn't believe him at the time, but he was so right. I would advise a couple to never give up on their love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful quilt, and a lovely gift to them. The wedding is done and now the adventure begins - may they have many, many years of companionship and happiness together! My words of wisdom - keep Christ at the center of all they do, and He will lead and guide.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the quilt and your advice. I always tell a couple that a sense of humor goes a long way. I also tell them to develop good communication skills (if they haven't already)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful quilt and beautiful love story. No advice but sending plenty of best wishes ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great fun and modern heart design! And all the best to the soon to be newly-weds :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful quilt. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a lovely quilt. May it warm and keep them. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful quilt and kids say the darndest things. I am still laughing. Thank you for linking up and congrats to all.

    ReplyDelete