Monday, May 6, 2019

Scrap Dance Minuet - Mystery Quilt

I have recently been reading a series called Patchwork Mysteries that were published in the 1990's and focuses on Sarah, who happens to be a quilter and has a penchant for mysteries.  Some of the story lines tend to focus more on the mystery and her searching for some lost items or missing piece of history or "puzzle" than on the quilting and quilt restoration that she does.  But, despite this, I have enjoyed the books... actual books.  

For the last several years I had been reading books on my nook.  It was convenient and I had access to many free books from a variety of genres for my reading pleasure.

In the most recent Patchwork Mystery, the lead character, Sarah had finished restoring a "delicate rose and lace Fan bed quilt that was over fifty years old."  

"Some of the lace and and stitching had torn loose" Sarah explained to her friend that was admiring the quilt.  The friend looked closely and said "I can't even tell where the old stitching stops and where you repaired it."  

Sarah explained "I had to yellow the thread using tea.  The lace was bit harder to match.  If you look closely, the pattern is slightly off."

When Sarah was asked why she did it, she replied with "I enjoy restoring someone else's handicraft.  I hate to see beauty and history lost."  This is something I can totally relate to.

One of the things I enjoy most about this series is that there are small bits of tips and suggestions on how to restore quilts... how to wash and handle them, how to match fabrics and threads, etc.  Like how she colored the thread with tea to match.  In another book she tea stained fabric to age it a little.

Ah, but I ramble... 

A few months ago as I was looking for some block of the months to participate in I stumbled upon Carole's blog From My Carolina Home.   As I spent some time looking around her blog I discovered that Carole has a love for repairing well loved quilts like Sarah... and myself.   That is when I saw her announcement for a Scrap Dance Minuet Mystery Quilt Along.  

I have never done a mystery quilt and thought that it would be fun.  And at a leisurely pace with just one clue per month, published the second Friday of the month.

I pulled out my scrap bin and started cutting and piecing according to the directions provided by Carole...



The only stipulation I had for the fabrics were that they had some sort of floral print on them... and that they were big enough to get the necessary size cut from them.

One comment about my selection of fabrics was "You have some interesting fabrics choices."  Well... yes.  Yes, I do.  It is a scrap quilt.  So, in my mind it doesn't need to be all matchy-matchy and perfectly complimenting each other.  In fact it shouldn't be. 

It is a mystery quilt and I have no idea what the layout will be.  I am just trusting that it will all work out.

I am ready for clue #4!  If you think you might want to join in on the fun just follow the link above.  And unless you decide to make a queen or king-sized quilt, you can catch up quickly... but even then, it would not be impossible to catch up... it would just require a day or so.  I am making a throw size.  (Carole is providing 7 different sizes, from table runner to king.)


Have you ever done a mystery quilt?  
Were you happy with the finished quilt?
Did you finish the quilt?  Or did it end up as UFO?

Leave a comment letting me know your experience... I'd love to hear from you!

Piece happily,

Melva 
Melva Loves Scraps - home of the Quilters Through The Generations series


Linking with:

What I Made Monday at Pretty Piney
Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt
Moving It Forward Monday at Em's Scrapbag
Scrap Happy Saturday at Super Scrappy
UFO Busting at Tish’s Wonderland
Colour & Inspiration Tuesday at The Clever Chameleon
Mid-week Makers at Quilt Fabrication
WOW at Esther's Quilt Blog
Let's Bee Social at Sew Fresh Quilts
Wednesday Wait Loss at The Inquiring Quilter
Needle & Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
Can I Get A Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Off The Wall Friday with Nina Marie
Finished or Not Friday at Busy Hands Quilts

Brag About Your Beauties at From Bolt to Beauty


9 comments:

  1. It took me a long time to get around to finishing the top, but I did make the Magnolia Mystery Quilt with Cheryl of Meadow Mist Designs. It's a great design, but I have no idea how (or when) I'm going to quilt it. A scrappy quilt along sounds very relaxing--you don't have to worry quite so much about how well your fabrics will play together. Your quilt's looking great so far. Thanks for linking up to What I Made Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love scrappy quilts!! It is fun to see if I can find the same fabric more than once in a scrappy quilt. I once made a quilt that was controlled (by the colors) scrappy...didn't have scraps but I did have yardage and I remember using 60 different green fabrics in the quilt...they all made one appearance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love scrappy best, and yours is going to be fantastic! Thank you for mentioning the mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m currently participating in my first qal with Pamela Quilts using left over yardage from a previous quilt. There’s only one other that I participated in but lost interest after the first block. Can’t wait to see your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've done several mystery quilts and in each case wish I'd known the end when I selected fabric. The better ones give good hints at the choosing stage: value, size print, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love scrappy quilts but I'm not a big fan of mysteries. I need more control I guess! This looks like fun though, and I can't wait to see step 4! Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I'm too much of a control freak to participate in mystery quilts, at least until I can get a feel for where it's headed. But random scrappy will hopefully mitigate some of the possible issues. Good luck and good fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking good! I haven't done a mystery quilt yet - maybe someday when I have more time

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Melva, I have been following Carole and doing her yearly Mystery Scrap Quilts since 2015. I always look forward to creating her excellently written quilt patterns and tutorials. Plus, Carole is always willing to take the time and answer any questions, offer up suggestions or tips and links to help in any way she can if we are having trouble. I usually approach scrap quilts in the manner that you have described using yourself, with this Mystery though I decided to go with a "selective" style of scrappy. Thank you so much for sharing your post on how you are creating this Mystery Quilt and also for sharing on the Facebook Group. Have a great day tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete