Saturday, May 11, 2019

No Guilt::Go Quilt - Breakfast - May Flower Baskets

I am rarely in my studio after 5 pm... I am not a late night person by any means!  I am much more of a morning person and I have been known to go in there very early... like 6:00 or 6:30 a.m. or earlier if Dave happens to be gone overnight... and I tend to "get lost" in there and won't emerge until around 10 or 10:30 to head to the shower.

If you happen to be a late-night owl and quilt away until you realize it is way too late, before you head off to lay your head down on your pillow for some Zzzzz's, you should wander into your kitchen and throw together an overnight crockpot breakfast that will be ready for you when rise.

Or, if you are an early riser like me, you can do as I do and sneak to your kitchen and do the same.  The cook time and temp are the only things that would change and are indicated at the bottom of the recipe...




As is normal, I modify the recipe to fit to my restrictions... You can substitute turkey bacon (affectionately referred to as Facon in our house 😉 ) or turkey sausage for the ham... and almond milk for the whole milk.  No need to bother with the need to saute the Jalapenos... You can use diced green chilis or just toss them in raw.

We had a house guest recently.  And when I got up to start the coffee I pulled together some breakfast in the crockpot since I wanted to be able to grab an hour or so in my studio first thing in the morning and knock out the May blocks for the A Time for All Seasons BOM.  The May block was designed by Joan at Moosestash Quilting.




The floral print in the star points reminded me of May Baskets and the May Pole Dance.

I have fond memories of making the small cone shaped baskets out of construction paper with a pipe cleaner handle and filling them with flowers at school.  Sadly, because of the remote location of our house, I was never able to leave the basket on a neighbor's door... 



As a child, I loved watching the patterns being revealed as the different colored ribbons were woven in and out and up and down in the May Pole Dance.... 💓  much like the 4-patch blocks cris-crossing the block.

The official start of Spring is in March... however, from the brief history lesson I had as I searched the origin and meaning of the May Day celebration, it seems evident that many celebrate the start of Spring a little later than March.  As a Colorado girl, I know better than to plant outside until after Mother's Day... though I say Memorial Day, because I have lost too many plants and flowers to a late frost.  Yes, even after Mother's Day!  


Mother's Day can be challenging for so many... It is a "holiday" that ranks up there with Valentine's Day in my mind... it is very much a "Hallmark" holiday.  I strive to love my family and friends every day and let them know that they are loved and thought of every day... So, why do I need a special day marked on the calendar to tell me to do that?

Hmmmm.... Maybe I sound a bit scrooge-ish... None the less, these are my honest feelings. 

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms -- wannabe moms, birth moms, stepmoms, bonus moms, adoptive moms, mentor moms and spiritual moms. And especially to friends for whom this holiday will be hard. Friends who will be standing by gravesites this Mother’s Day. Friends whose moms haven’t been a part of their lives in many years. And those who have challenging relationships with their moms who try to navigate Mother’s Day with grace but some necessary distance. Have a blessed day


The month of May is typically full of celebrations... May Day, Mother's Day, Graduations, Weddings, Memorial Day, last day of school and more!  
What will you be celebrating this May?  

Please share by leaving a comment... I love to hear from my readers.

Happy May!

Melva
Melva Loves Scraps - Home of the Quilters Through The Generations series

Linking with:

Scrap Happy Saturday at Super Scrappy
UFO Busting at Tish’s Wonderland
Can I Get A Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Finished or Not Friday at Busy Hands Quilts
Brag About Your Beauties at From Bolt to Beauty
BOMs Away at What A Hoot Quilts
What I Made Monday at Pretty Piney
Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt
Moving It Forward Monday at Em's Scrapbag
Colour & Inspiration at Clever Chameleon Quilting
Mid-week Makers at Quilt Fabrication
WOW at Esther's Quilt Blog
Let's Bee Social at Sew Fresh Quilts
Wednesday Wait Loss at The Inquiring Quilter
Needle & Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation


8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe, Melva! Sounds like quite the time saver. I'll be looking forward to seeing ORANGE blocks coming out of your sewing room with all of the extra time from the "fix it and forget it" breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy May day memories. Your blocks look great! Thanks for sharing with Moving it Forward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blocks look great and thanks for the recipe. Sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blocks are lovely, and the florals are perfect for May. However, I'm curious about your attribution of this block design to someone named Joan who is apparently alive and blogging, since I recognize this block as 54-40 Or Fight, a block whose name references the 1844 Presidential campaign slogan of James Polk, and this block has been documented in even earlier quilts. Is this Joan person really trying to pass this off as an original quilt design? Just google "54-40 or fight quilt block" and you'll see a gazillion hits for this very popular, very famous, and very OLD traditional quilt block.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made me hungry and I don't hash browns or jalapenos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your blocks - they're perfect for May!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect little May blocks! So sweet with those tiny flowers. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A crock pot breakfast. I could do that, night owl that I am. I shall have to explore more past porridge it seems. :)

    ReplyDelete