Monday, April 15, 2019

The Adventure Quilt - Open Spaces

As I pieced these final filler blocks for the Adventure Quilt hosted by Kate & Tammy I could not help but have the once popular song by Dixie Chicks running through my head... Wide Open Spaces

It is a song that I could hear coming from my girls rooms as they got ready for school in the mornings.  

I always thought it was about getting out of the city and heading to less populated areas... 

But as I listened closely to the lyrics I realize now that it is really a "coming of age" song that speaks of a young girl's desire to move away from home and have the "space" to make a few mistakes without the watchful eye of the parental units.  Lol!  How naive I was... 

I recall having those very feelings as I went away to college... ready to spread my wings and find a life of my own.

None the less... there really is something about getting away from busy-ness of life... to a place where you can shut out the noise of the world... a place to unplug from life... 

When we made the big move from Chicago-land to Southern Colorado in December 1994 we traveled west on I-80... as you cross over the state line from Nebraska to Colorado the majestic views are breath taking.  And as we turned south onto CO71, a two-lane highway at Brush, CO you could actually see Fishers Peak... the flat-top mountain that graces our view from the front yard.




Now we are talking about wide open spaces...  That's nearly 250 miles!  


The open space between Brush and Trinidad is prairie so I went with some muted and light greens representing the grass and shrubs that grow there...



Where do you go when you need some space?

Leave a comment... I love hearing your thoughts. :)

Next week will be the final frontier.  Woohoo!  I am ready to assemble this Adventure quilt.   

Remember, life is a journey... enjoy the ride!

Melva
Melva Loves Scraps - Home of the Quilters Through The Generations series

Linking with

BOMs Away at What A Hoot Quilts
Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt
Moving It Forward Monday at Em's Scrapbag
Oh Scrap! At Quilting is More Fun Than Housework
UFO Busting at Tish’s Wonderland
Brag About Your Beauties at From Bolt to Beauty
Scrap Happy Saturday at Super Scrappy
Mid-week Makers at Quilt Fabrication
WOW at Esther's Quilt Blog
Let's Bee Social at Sew Fresh Quilts

Wednesday Wait Loss at The Inquiring Quilter
Colour & Inspiration at Clever Chameleon Quilting
What I Made Monday at Pretty Piney


9 comments:

  1. Melva, I've been greatly enjoying the storytelling that you've been imbuing into your Adventure quilt. Wide Open Spaces is a supremely catchy song for both of the meanings you talk about. At this point in my life, living in a less-congested area and having adult children only occasionally around, I don't very often feel a need for more space. I do enjoy seeing unique, charming spaces, though. I'll be meeting up with a daughter to spend a week in a few different kinds of spaces in Southern and central California this summer. We'll catch some dessert open spaces, mountain spaces, and Sequoia open spaces. I'm looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live on a farm in eastern Washington and my closest neighbor is a new one - my SIL and her hubby built a home about two miles from us (can't see their home because of the hills). I love riding my horse over the hills to places civilization is invisible. I have been caring for my dad in Nevada for the past 3 years...stuck in a city with all its noise. Since I can't physically "get away", I do "travel" with books and the internet...planning a few vacations with my daughters and my hubby (who is patiently waiting for me at home).

    ReplyDelete
  3. My open space isn't as broad as those in your photos but I do live in a densely wooded area with deep hollows. I only need walk out my front door. I love the soft colors you have chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific block, and a wonderful story! I've always been fond of the song "Wide Open Spaces" since my mother says it makes her think of me. I'm fortunate enough to live in a house with a wide open sewing space, and the house is in a wide open farm space, and the farm is not far from the wide open ocean space--so no matter what kind of wide open space I need, it's there.

    Thanks for linking up to What I Made Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There isn't a whole bunch of open space where I live...just lots of rolling mountains. Hiking to the top of one of those rolling mountains is a great way to enjoy the wide open and see all there is to see. Life is so crazy these days, that simply escaping to my bed room is just the right amount of space to hide away and clear my head :) I can't wait to see the adventure quilt come all together. Thank you for taking us on this trip with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful shot of the prairie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your stories. Your quilts are always so meaningful! Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking forward to seeing your adventure quilt all come together. Anywhere out of the city does me for relief from the rat race!

    ReplyDelete