Friday, April 26, 2019

2019 Color Challenge - Glory of the Snow


Jen's April block of the 2019 Monthly Color Challenge is inspired by the Glory of the snow flower...

Glory-of-the-Snow is so-named because in some climates it blooms early enough that it pokes its little bright blue six-petaled flowers right out of the snow.  The star-shaped flowers appear above linear, mid-green, basal leaves. In milder climates, they bloom earlier than in their native habitats, in early spring.  And are natives of western Turkey, and were first described in 1877.
It seems to happen every year... spring peeks out.  The grass starts to turn green, the bulbs that have been hibernating all winter bravely poke their little noses out and then Mother Nature says "not yet."  But the snow doesn't scare these little flowers!  (The flowers in the picture below are actually daffodils... but they are pretty tough flowers as well)


So... on a snowy day in April I enjoyed making my April block.  I had a variety of blues to choose from but with the bright blue to pop against the blue-grey background... just like the blue flowers pop against the grey, gloom of a snow storm!







You may know that a Snow Day at my house means a Sew Day!  And guilt free because I used one of my crockpot meals.  No Guilt::Go Quilt!

We enjoyed Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings...

Ingredients

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
2 tablespoons butter
2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
1 onion, finely diced
2 (10 ounce) packages refrigerated biscuit dough, torn into pieces

Directions:
Place the chicken, butter, soup, and onion in a slow cooker, and fill with enough water to cover.


Cover, and cook for 5 to 6 hours on High. 

About 30 minutes before serving, place the torn biscuit dough in the slow cooker. Cook until the dough is no longer raw in the center.

With my dietary restrictions, it takes a little time to modify the recipe, but it is so worth it!  We like it to be more like a chicken pot pie with more veggies like potatoes, carrots, celery and green beans... Enjoy!

If you might be interested in having my fully-modified recipe, leave a comment letting me know (WITH an e-mail address so that I can get back to you).

Happy Spring!

Melva
Melva Loves Scraps - Home of the Quilters Through The Generations series
Linking with:

Can I Get A Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Finished or Not Friday at Busy Hands Quilts
Scrap Happy Saturday at Super Scrappy
UFO Busting at Tish’s Wonderland
BOMs Away at What a Hoot Quilts
2019 Color Challenge at Patterns by Jen
What I Made Monday at Pretty Piney
Colour & Inspiration at Clever Chameleon Quilting
Wednesday Wait Loss at The Inquiring Quilter

9 comments:

  1. Melva, I’d love to have your modified crockpot chicken recipe. My email address is jdyblr6107(at)gmail(dot)com. It sounds like a keeper to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The flowers are beautiful. Did you send the snow north? We are to have a dump tomorrow...but today is cool but beautifully sunny. I would love your modified recipe. It sounds good and I really like slow cooker recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your slow cooker chicken and dumplings sound delicious. Sounds similiar to mine except I use garlic instead of onion. My son doesn't like onion but loves garlic. Snow days are perfect for sew days. Your April block is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful block! Flowers in the snow always make an interesting contrast, but I do prefer flowers WITHOUT snow. Thanks for linking up to What I Made Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm, great recipe. Now that we are moving into winter, my crockpot is seeing a lot more of the kitchen bench. Never heard of those flowers, but they are very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the recipe! You always have such good ones. Love the choice of great and blue for your block. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really like those colors you used in your block. This challenge is fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for guilt free sew days! Those are the best. This block is a great little representation of those beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just found you sight today. I am loving it. I, too, would like to have your modified version of the recipe. Thank you so much. My email is jjames525@yahoo.com.

    ReplyDelete