Sunday, August 23, 2026

Twists & Turns ~ Sew & Tell - 8/24/26


This week had a super slow start... and then it took off like a tornado.  For this reason, I am extending grace to myself and skipping the weekly feature.  I just don't have the energy to put into it, and I certainly hope that you'll understand...

I started writing my thoughts for a post for later in the week on Monday... explaining that I was in the market for some new quilting rulers - 12-1/2" and 6-1/2"... and asking for personal recommendations.  I plan to use some of my credit from Connecting Threads for the purchase... therefore, my options are Omnigrid and Creative Grids.  What are your thoughts?  Leave a comment with your preference and why.  Thanks! 

The rest is explained by what I wrote on Wednesday as I sat with no power... the upgrade in power service is happening today (as I type on my phone). We are using the camper fridge and freezer as a backup as it operates on propane.

Taking advantage of the vacancy of food in the refrigerator I have cleaned it as it probably hasn't been cleaned in years!

What do I do next? I had a few eggs that were loose and difficult to store/move so I am cooking those up and when those are done, I will be making gf sourdough pancakes on the griddle on the grill.

Yesterday was a warm one and I am thankful that today is cooler. Especially since I can't have any fans to offer any relief.

The basement is in chaos. We have moved everything out of the way in preparation for the installation of a new furnace. We asked for 3 years to get a quote for a new HVAC system... they finally "worked us into their schedule" and now want to start next week. 😵‍💫

I'm feeling overwhelmed and keep reminding myself to take one day at a time and trust the Lord's timing. 

So, I soothe my emotions with creativity... my 100-day challenge as I cook.... since I can't quilt... as I enjoy the book Sunflower Sisters by Martha Hall Kelly. I enjoyed two other books by her and this one was just as good.

I selected fabrics for the 9-patch block that represent this book in my Bookish Journal Quilt. 

And it has only been 2 hours??? How much longer? What's next? Why not pull out a few cards for paper embroidery?  

The paper embroidery never happened... I went for a walk and then it was time to make lunch.  The power was back on by noon!  Whoop! Whoop!

As soon as the electrician was gone, we removed ductwork and drug the furnace out of the way until a friend could help to haul it out of the basement.  What a dirty, messy job!  The work continued on Thursday as we poured concrete in a small area of the basement... it was under the furnace and when we moved it out of the way we discovered raw dirt!  UGH... 

It was better that WE discovered it and were able to remedy the situation rather than the professionals.  The days all blurred together, and I won't bore you with more details of the entire thing but say that I am bone tired.  However, the hard labor on our part is DONE!  We are ready for the pros and hope to be pleasantly surprised to find that several thousand dollars were saved by our doing the demolition work when the final bill is delivered, in comparison to the quote we received. Praying for God's favor!


Thankfully, I was well prepared with Lala's Irish Chain steps, photos and stories!  If you're following along, you should be getting the patchwork blocks together. Of course, last week I made the suggestion of making a much smaller quilt such as a baby quilt and heard from many that they were going to join in!  I loved hearing that!  The breakdown of the number of pieces needed for each unit can be found here.

I did manage sometime early in the week to get my second Lala's Irish Chain quilt basted and partially quilted... all of the patchwork is outlined.  I'll have a video on Instagram at some point showing how I did it.

That's all I have the energy for... It is naptime!  As I was reminded at church this morning... so I will rest. 💗 Matthew 11:28-30 ~ “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."

Keep Piecing,

Melva

Linking with:

m


No comments:

Post a Comment