As we bid July farewell and welcome August, I am relieved that the summer monsoon rains have arrived. The fire fighters continue to battle fires across the state of Colorado, Aspen Acres included. This was the huge fire that had several of our friends evacuated from their homes for 3 weeks... 3 WEEKS! As well as both our daughters on alert for emergency evacuation. I know that there were homes lost and property damaged, but none of the people we know personally lost a thing.
The return of the rains now causes a new problem... flash floods. :( My mind reels from the many thoughts they must be struggling with. How does one have such an experience and return home or "regularly scheduled programing" and not have a hard look at what is really important in life? I don't think you can... and I know that many more, me included, are looking through a new lense.
But enough of the deep philosophical thoughts... Let's look at this week's Sew & Tell feature!
Viridian shared her recent Hamiton Garden finish. She said, "In 2025 at the start of my retirement I started on the pattern Hamilton Gardens by Bonnie Hunter."
I like the chains that allow the blocks to seemingly hang, a little like a beaded curtain.
Being true to BH style, it is a great scrappy quilt. Hop over to the blog to see some close-up shots of the 1930s - 40s reproduction fabrics she used.
The little images of a flower, a girl, or a train add to the charm of the quilt!
I had a request from someone in the "chain gang" ;) for more detail on the colors used in her patchwork blocks. If anyone else is interested... here you go.
Last week's sew along step was all about framing the "setting squares"... the block that alternates in the layout with the patchwork blocks.
I have 32 blocks with cornerstones ready to go! How 'bout you?
I spent a fair amount of time in the studio quilting the cross-stitched violets quilt. I love the delicate lace look it has and I am super excited that all of the markings washed out... unlike the rose quilt from earlier this year.
I made a two-color binding from the floral backing fabric and a dark olive green that matched the darker color of the leaves on the binding.
![]() |
| I'll call her Viola |
As I quilted Viola, I listened to Nora Goes Off Script by Annabel Monaghan. It was a cute hallmark type story. A refreshing change after several historical fiction books addressing serious topics... yet it had a strong message for women people to not cave to the expectations of others just to make a relationship work.
I finished a slow read this week too. The story of an immigrant mine worker and the loss, love, and identity of him and his family. Based on the author's ancestors. I found the references to the familiar, local landmarks and buildings in the area interesting, but the lifestyle and choices of the dysfunctional family was unfamiliar to me.
I had to dig deep in the stash for that cat in the block. lol. I had to include the cat... it kept appearing in the story adding a lightness to the story.
That was pretty much my week... I did a deep clean on my sewing machine on Saturday. Thread lint sure clogs things up! Some claim that the higher quality threads aren't as bad... I'm not sure I can attest to that. All I know is that I was tired of the mechanical error interrupting my sewing time, so I took care of it.
My fabric order from Connecting Threads finally arrived so I'll finish cutting the squares needed for Lala's patchwork blocks and continue writing the stories and instructions for the sew along. CT is not typically so slow in fulfilling orders, but when they have their $5-$7-$9/yard sale, they get a great backlog. My guess is that they have picked up customers that used to be lovers of Joann fabrics.
We have had rains (to those that prayed... thank you!) that have helped to cool things off and we even managed to have two nights of quiet and peaceful sleep. YAY! Another night was interrupted by the smell of skunk... again. We had to close the windows and turn on the fans. Ugh... The previous week we had trapped and exterminated one skunk. Let me tell you that stench can be stubborn! It didn't even spray... it was just a stinky ol' thing! We had the smell mostly eliminated only to realize there seems to be another. :( But we may have to tolerate it for a few more days... maybe it will be lonely and migrate to some other yard!
Dave's going to be busy with a water system project this week... we will be without water for one day... we are prepared and hopeful that the project goes smoothly and it will be only a few hours that the water is off. Since he will be busy down the street, I'll be entertaining myself in the studio. Yellow is the new color of the month in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge and I'll be making scrappy, wonky stars to add to my collection. 💛 It is a bright and cheerful color and was my grandma T's favorite. :)
Enough of my rambling on... Let's get the Sew & Tell party started!
When was the last time you cleaned your machine?
Consider this your reminder... ;)
Keep Piecing,
Melva
Linking with:
m






No quilt started here yet, I had family here last week including 2 teenagers. I had actually forgotten how much they can eat! Fortunately there is a Subway close to us for some quick meals. Viola is a beautiful quilt, the violets are so pretty.
ReplyDeleteWe need more monsoons to hit up north here - it is over 100 here this afternoon. I think we'll get a break from the heat on Tuesday again, finally! Your embroidered violets quilt finish is lovely! Does that one have an intended recipient? It is going to be treasured! I always feel like it hasn't been that long since I cleaned my machine, but that means I should probably check it!
ReplyDelete