It's August and time of year that seems to get busy for many. Families with children are preparing for back to school and/or squeezing in one last family trip, and gardeners are enjoying the fruits of their labor (whether floral or produce... or both!).
August in our house finds both Dave and I enjoying a walk down memory lane as we celebrate our wedding anniversary. Monday, the 10th, marks our 41st. I found the following info with a quick search on the web...
While there is no traditional anniversary gift, Topaz has been the associated gemstone for the 41st year of marriage.
The contemporary/modern theme of land is associated with the 41st wedding anniversary. A gift with a land motif signifies all the couple has accomplished since they first met. They have conquered the world together, and now, with their life’s landscape laid out before them, they may go into their future happily side by side.
If you can’t afford the expense of purchasing real estate for the 41st wedding anniversary, maybe consider a travel-themed present. The chance to explore new lands or a different part of your own country, coupled with the thrill of discovery, is reflected in this year’s theme. At the same time, it would be a thrilling and memorable experience for couples to share together, creating lifelong memories of this anniversary year.
We are not big on gifts for each other, but we do enjoy making plans for a small way to celebrate... I may make some special dinner. TBD ;)
Dave did nicely ask me if I wanted to "help" him as he spreads a final layer of reground asphalt over the road areas that were affected by the water line project last week. LOL! I reminded him that I have an appointment with the dentist. Hahaha! Aren't we so romantic?!?
We haven't really changed much! what do you think?
I do however like the idea of making plans for a trip. We are planning to make a trip to Illinois for his 45th High School reunion in September. After the reunion we want to go to the Ark Encounter and Creation Museum in Williamsburg, Kentucky. More on this to come.
Let's take a look at this week's Sew & Tell feature. Diann at Little Penguin Quilts shared an assortment of projects that she worked on while procrastinating the projects she had on her "Should do" list.
She visited here "parts" department and pulled out these string blocks. It has a calm, beachy look and feel to it. Sand and surf... it makes me want seafood. LOL! I must be hungry...
Diann did eventually get to one of her "should" projects. She's been using the quilt-as-you-go method on her Patchwork Hearts quilt.
Make a visit to her blog by following the highlighted link above to see what other "spare parts" she played with.
My week was filled with studio time since Dave was occupied with the water project. The valve replacement was scheduled to happen over Tuesday and Wednesday. But first, Saturday night's sleep was disrupted (10:20 pm) when he had a phone call from a neighbor saying they had no water. They live on a hill and there was indeed a main line break at the bottom of said hill. *sigh* A valve was turned off in an attempt to stop the water flow... it slowed it to a trickle. That repair was made on Monday. Tuesday and Wednesday went as planned, though Wednesday was a long day for him... 13 hours.
While he was playing in water, I was happily in the studio, I pieced Lala's Scrappy Irish Chain. I cut the final 100+ 2-1/2" squares of the main color that I needed. I wrote up several stories for the coming steps of the sew along and I made two scrappy, wonky star blocks to add to my RSC blocks. I needed to do a "negative" block to add to the collection, but at another time. ;)
I couldn't hold back! I pieced... and pieced... and pieced... and I recorded several videos with tips and suggestions for the assembly of the patchwork blocks for Lala's quilt. I knew it was going to happen. I just couldn't hold back. As of Friday, I had1/4 of the quilt together... 😏I'll be editing the videos and getting them on insta and fb as we reach the appropriate steps in the coming weeks.
I finished 2 books this week... both stories told as though reading from journals.
One thousand white women, based on an actual historical event but told through fictional diaries, is the story of a remarkable woman who travels west in 1875 and marries the Chief of the Cheyenne Nation.
I considered it rated R for sexual content... I skipped forward only two times (I think).
The unselected journals of Emma M. Lion, volume 1... Set in 1883 London, it follows a witty 20-year-old named Emma living in the quirky neighborhood of St. Crispian's. Each short book is written as her personal journal covering about two months of her life.
I have a sequel to the first borrowed for a future listen... I will pass on Emma's journal. Regency romance is not my favorite... I tried Pride & Prejudice several times and had to give up.
On days that I have not been quilting, I have continued my 100-days of creativity challenge. I sewed a label onto a quilt and sent it off to the preemie baby of the owner of Cornerstone Tea Co, Stephanie. She graciously collaborated with me in 2022 on the Pieces in the Garden sew along. Each month sew along participants had the opportunity to link up their blocks for a chance to win a prize package from her. A generous package, I might add.
In her on-line announcement, she had requested scripture verses to pray over him and surround him. Psalm 189:17-18 came to my mind immediately.
How precious to me are your thoughts,
How vast is the sum of them!
Were I to count them,
they would outnumber the grains of sand
And then I went in search of a baby quilt from my inventory. (limited because so many are on display at the library) As soon as I saw this quilt, which is a much smaller baby quilt and a perfect size for a preemie - I knew that it was meant for Patrick.
And then I was digging for a ribbon to wrap around it to fancy it up a little... God provided this!
The ribbon is actually silky blanket binding from projects 13 years ago! A perfect length and perfect colors... I tied the bow and it was perfect!
I looked up and said, "I know that was You, God." And He winked. ;)
Day 68/100 I made granola. I've shared the recipe before... Day 63/100 resulted in No Bake Cookies! The recipe is from a home-ec class or maybe 6th grade? I modified the original recipe using ingredients with the substitutions I have learned over the years.
Coconut sugar and maple sugar in place of white sugar (a total of just 1 cup, not 2), almond milk instead of milk, almond butter instead of peanut butter... I stirred in a handful of chopped walnuts as an extra. They were delicious!
Time for me to run. But before you go, tell me...
Do you have a favorite recipe from your school years?
Or a family favorite that has survived generations?
Leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!
Keep Piecing,
Melva
Linking with:
m








Happy Anniversary! We also always prefer to make plans to do something together rather than worry about gifts. I'm sorry to hear about the water issues, though - that kind of work is hard! Thank you for featuring my post from last week - sometimes it's just fun to play around with the scraps. This week I am back on track! I have a cookbook that my mom made for all of us from my grandmother's family favorite recipes. It's a treasure!
ReplyDelete