Sunday, August 16, 2026

Chain Gang II ~ Sew & Tell - 8/17/26

Welcome back to Melva Loves Scraps and the weekly Sew & Tell party! Another week has zipped on!  The old saying is that "time flies when you're having fun".  If that's the case, then I've been having a grand time! ;)


I'll fill you in on what I've been busy with after this week's Sew & Tell feature.  

Gail at Quilting Gail shared a summary.  She has been participating in a variety of BOMs and has shared the links for each of them.  In addition to those updates, she had finished her Tilt-a-Whirl quilt.  Make a visit over to her blog to see the variety of BOMs she shared.  

Did you know that back in 2018 Gail was one of the featured Quilters Through the Generations interviewees?  You can find that story here.

Quilters Through the Generations was a series that celebrated families of quilters... grandmothers, great-grandmothers, uncles, and cousins.  Not just my family but many others.  


I think that was the beginning of a real interest in my family's history and wanting to find a way to preserve the history and stories... a sort of foundation for what has become integral parts of my sew along events. 

The fact that others have joined me in my journey into the past and made quilts alongside me brings me great joy!  I have enjoyed seeing some progress of Lala's Chain gang - these belong to Melisa, Terry and Carolyn.  The choice of fabric colors and style fits each personality.  


We're 1/2 way through the sew along and honestly, I think you could still catch up if you want to join us!  As I assembled my quilt top I did it in sections and thought that this size, just four columns, four rows would be a great baby quilt.  It would finish, without borders, at 40" square.  It really could be done!  YOU can decide how big you want to make it... and going borderless is ok... and many vintage quilts did not have borders.  

Yes, I am going to make a second quilt... Looking at you, Alycia. LOL! ;) 🙈

Here's what you need to cut for each block:
Setting blocks...
1- 6-1/2" squares of background
4- 2-1/2" x 6-1/2" rectangles of background
4- 2-1/2" squares of assorted for cornerstones
Patchwork blocks...
4- 2-1/2" squares of background
9- 2-1/2" squares of main color
12- 2-1/2" squares of assorted for patchwork blocks

I have borders on my large top and ready to sandwich it.  That's been a whole thing of itself. *ugh* I had ordered fabric... I thought I was ordering flannel.  Turns out, it was not. :(  No fear... it will not go to waste.

So, I went my only local source for fabric... (walmart) and purchased several precut flannel pieces to use as the batting - I bought all they had.  It was not enough! 😢 After two attempts, I have accepted the fact that I am not supposed to be using flannel as the batting.  I'll be sticking with my fusible batting from Hobbs.  But I will wait for a few days to sandwich and start quilting it... I feel the strong NEED to make a small Lala's scrappy Irish Chain quilt. 

I have worked on editing several video clips about tips and suggestions that have been shared on social media.  You can catch them on instagram here.  

My 100 days of creating continues.  I pieced another scrappy wonky star in yellow and then put them on the design wall.  I have a small space for 3 purple blocks (will purple be next month?) and then I can join the blocks together.

I purchased some fabric in April in Moab (AGF binding fabric) that will be used on this quilt. You can see what it looks like here(scroll down toward the end) I think it is the perfect choice. ;)

I'll be chasing DrEAMI squirrels (drop everything and make it) in the studio as I piece a mini–Lala's Irish Chain and listen to more books.

Are you chasing any squirrels?
Will a small Lala's Irish Chain quilt be your squirrel?

Keep Piecing,

Melva

Linking with:

m


1 comment:

  1. Oh dear, you are very persuasive, Melva! I love the look of your current Lala's Irish Chain - such pretty colors. That blue you're using is the same one you sent me for participating in the Little House sew-along. It's working so nicely to make the chain. Now you've got me thinking! 😊

    ReplyDelete