Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Wintery Wednesday Works

I realize we do live in Southeastern Colorado and that the highest amounts of snowstorms happen in the spring. I do... I really do know this, but it has been a strange season.  We can get some very low overnight temperatures but this year we have had three separate stretches of days that the temps did not rise above freezing.  Brrrrr!



Despite these temperature swings the trees and grass are beginning to wake up and the winds are stirring that little bit of pollen all over the place causing allergy issues for many.  Yet today we have yet another storm settling in with snow predicted to fall for 24 hours+.

This mini quilt is a bit reflective of the temps and my mood lately... though it does help to have had to the opportunity to create and play with some mini quilts... This one (#7/52) was designed with a guy in mind as a gift from his wife for Valentines Day.

It was cut from an orphan block that I received from my customer that sent the 8 quilt tops.

I am still practicing and learning dimple quilting, what works and what doesn't. 

So far, I have learned that smaller stiches are best as well as the random placement of the stitching.


#8/52 is in progress and reflective of my daily Bible reading from the Book of Exodus... the details of the Breastplate that Moses was told by God to have built with 12 gemstones representing the 12 Tribes of Israel.  

As my daughter and I talked about the breastplate it occurred to me that I probably had the stones in the wrong place... I had placed them from left to right, but after an quick inquiry to one of our mentors, we learned that the text of the Torah is written and read in a right to left direction.  

After my correction of this I quilted them into place.  I will do some embroidery to outline the stones later today...


But for now, I am headed to the studio to start a custom baby quilt for a HS classmate's grandson.

I'll be enjoying hot tea as I seek refuge, warmth and joy in my studio... and dream of warmer temperatures and the sounds of the beach.

Am I the only one ready for spring?  It is my favorite season with the earth awakening, plants and trees poking out buds and flowers and wildlife rejoicing as new life springs forth.  

What is your favorite season and why?

I'd love to hear from you... please leave a comment.

Keep Piecing,

Melva

Linking with:

Mid-week Makers at Quilt Fabrication
Wednesday Wait Loss at The Inquiring Quilter
Put Your Foot Down at For the Love of Geese 
Needle & Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
Free-Motion Mavericks at Quilting & Learning
Thankful Thursday at Brian's Home
Little Things Thursday at Good Random Fun

m


6 comments:

  1. I love the snow but probably because we don't get much. Hopefully for you spring will come soon. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW does that ever look cold. We'd be closed for weeks if we had that much snow. We're really fans of Spring and Blooming Season here. Thanks for joining our Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got snow at home in Norway, but storms is not every days happening here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Melva, good luck with the snow! We lost a lot of it and now it's all back - I'm very ready for spring too. Can you tell me what dimple quilting is? Thanks for linking up to Free Motion Mavericks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are longing for the beach, and I am longing for a true winter - lol! We have wild fluctuations in our temperatures - this week we are supposed to top at 81 - ugh. Our spring is so short, it's hard to look forward to it. Summer will be here by the end of May. Fall is my favorite season - it signals the end of summer and the buildup to my favorite holiday, Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spring is my favorite, hands down! I love seeing the new greens, and the daffodils and tulips peaking out from the ground. Watching the world around me wake up is pure joy.

    ReplyDelete