Sunday, September 18, 2022

Rows of the Garden and Sew & Tell ~ Sept 16, 2022

 

I feel like time is moving at break-neck speed, but at the same time I am enjoying all that is taking place.  I feel excitement and joy when I consider the prospects of a new week.  I have loved seeing all of the links from last week...  

Jocelyn told us about how she makes pillowcases when she is lacking inspiration for anything else...  Sounds like a productive time and a good cause!


And Deb shared two finishes.  Here's her zipper quilt...

I've spent more time in my sewing room a little more than the previous week (wow! that was a whirlwind 🌪) and, oh, that time is my studio has been good for my soul. 💓

Here's a little peek at what I did...



I have all of the blocks for the remainder of the Pieces in the Garden Row Quilt pieced, photographed and there is only one row of blocks remaining that needs to be joined together and added to the quilt!




I have two patterns that remain to be written... but I am gaining on it!  All of the remaining blocks are much easier than the Wedding Ring block... THAT one was a bugger!  And maybe the timing of the release in the midst of the summer activities was poor... BUT Patricia was able to get hers complete.  And she did a spectacular job...  Bravo!


If you have fallen behind, please don't fret over it.  This sew along is supposed to be FUN!  And I certainly hope that you have enjoyed it.  I have at least one more "bonus" block that will be shared... I may have more... but you can feel free to leave some rows out or sub in a different block that is more to your liking.  Afterall... we are unique individuals and have different preferences, likes and dislikes and each one of us would plant a garden in a different manner.  Some might leave out peas... ME!  Others might want peas, but no green beans or brussel sprouts. 🤣  

In other sewing... I started two EPP Postcard blocks for our Camping Journal Quilt while we drove to see our daughter and help her can salsa.  It was fun to pass on our tradition of making homemade salsa to her.   

Since I have had time sewing, I have had time to do some additional deep thinking... I seem to do some of my best thinking and processing as I sew and create.  

You may recall that we started a "Sabbatical" in February... we have had time to rest and heal and have been hungry for God's Word and an "alive" corporate worship time... We have visited a few churches and each week we have said it was "okay".  We had considered making a visit back to the church we stepped away from because we had recently heard the news a few weeks ago that the Pastor's wife had received a cancer diagnosis.  We were both (confirmation that it was to be so) led to join them for a Sunday Worship... to pray for Linda as she faces the road to battle the disease.

Of course, we heard the question "Are you guys coming back?"  When I saw this on Instagram, I knew in my heart that it was the answer...


The first four words I read today were these….
-He left that place- and all I could think of was…
That happens.

There are times you will stay and times when you’ll leave.  Times when you’ll remain and times when you’ll realize that where you are is no longer where you should be.
Times when you’ve done what you can do where you are and in order to keep growing and not be held back you’ll need to seek out new land.

There will be times when you leave the flat grasslands to search for a mountain to climb, and a part of you will wonder why. And then you’ll realize it’s because you desperately need to know that you’re still fully alive.  And there will be times when you reach the top.
And times when you don’t but dang you were sure strengthened by the climb.
There will be times when the place you leave has nothing to do with physical soil but instead the state of your soul.

And these times will free you.

You will leave the place of rejection, the place of confusion, the place that just doesn’t feel right.  You will leave ... and come out of hiding trusting that who you are need not remain hidden.  Under a bushel.  Determined and perhaps even singing…I’m gonna LET IT SHINE.

Those bold words just resonated with me! And the highlighted ones... well I just want to sing as we enter a new land.  We will continue to wait, in quiet, for an undetermined length of time to hear that we are "home."  And when we find a new church home, we will sing and shout and rejoice.

Is your sewing time "Therapy" for you as well?  Do you listen to music?  Or maybe books?  Do you watch television and binge shows?

Leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you.

Keep Piecing!

Melva

Linking with:

Oh Scrap! at Quilting is More Fun Than Housework
Sunday Stash at QuiltPaintCreate
Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt
Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
This & That at Days Filled with Joy



3 comments:

  1. Yes, sewing time is my therapy... but only when I don't have deadlines! Just love your scrappy quilts, they're so pretty! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such pretty projects were shared on your link last week. And what lovely blocks you have been working on. I have been reading through you past Sew Alongs this weekend and enjoying each post. Have a great week. Happy quilting.

    ReplyDelete