Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Wordy Wednesday

This is one of those times that I share some of the deep thoughts that I have been pondering and considering for weeks and have finally decided that I needed to share... (can you tell that I have returned to actually quilting in my studio?)

It all started a few weeks ago while were camping mid-July... as I sat in our campsite and considered our surroundings and how it we take in all of God's creation with our senses...


Sight, sound, touch, smell and taste...

Taste & see that the Lord is good ~ Psalm 34:8... or as it says in The Message, "Open your mouth and taste, open your eyes and see—
    how good God is."

I marveled as I considered that This IS my Father's World...

Watching the tall grass as it danced in a gentle breeze...

The sound of the wind in the tall pines and the rustling of aspen leaves as they flutter and have a sort of shimmer in the light of the warm sun and make the shadows dance...

The color of the wildflowers as they co-mingle with the tall grasses and appear as a sort of artists pallet with every color of the rainbow present...

The slightly prickly texture of pinecones as you hold one in your hand... each cone, like snowflakes, unique in shape and size...

The smell of the morning with fresh dew on the grass and the intricate spiderweb so delicately woven...

I have recently been reading a series of books by Beverly Lewis.  There was a dialogue between two characters (a mother figure, Leah, to her youngest sister, Lydiann) ...

"Leah was aware, once again, of the birds' exhilarating song.   "Did you ever hear this verse from the Good Book? 'The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come...'?"

"Can't say I have.  Where'd you hear it?"

"Mamma told it to me once.  She loved to listen to the birds, 'specially early in the morning."

"Lydiann's eyes suddenly looked bluer.  "What else did Mamma love?"

"That's easy.  She loved YOU.  I wish you could remember her carryin' you here and there... hopin' you'd grow up to respect the land and listen for the song of nature all round you. Mamma enjoyed the birds and the way the sky could paint itself all kinds of colors.  She saw the Lord God clearly in all of His creation."

The verse Leah was referring to can be found in the Song of Songs 2:12...  I especially love the way The Message translation puts it...

Spring flowers are in blossom all over.
    The whole world’s a choir—and singing!
Spring warblers are filling the forest
    with sweet strains.
Lilacs are exuberantly purple and perfumed,
    and cherry trees fragrant with blossoms.


Just this morning (AND yesterday afternoon as I was getting Hanna's First year quilt on the design wall) I was drawn back to the idea of creation and Psalm 139:13-16 came to mind...  again, in The Message translation - 

Oh yes, you shaped me first inside, then out;
    you formed me in my mother’s womb.
I thank you, High God—you’re breathtaking!
    Body and soul, I am marvelously made!
    I worship in adoration—what a creation!
You know me inside and out,
    you know every bone in my body;
You know exactly how I was made, bit by bit,
    how I was sculpted from nothing into something.
Like an open book, you watched me grow from conception to birth;
    all the stages of my life were spread out before you,
The days of my life all prepared
    before I’d even lived one day.

I cannot, nor do I really want to, shake the deep desire in my heart to worship. After months of staying home on Sunday mornings and worshipping together in our manner, we both felt that it was time to return to a corporate worship.  We chose to go to a church that we had left about 3 years ago because of a conflict with another couple.  We were pleasantly surprised at the kindness and welcomes extended to us as we were noticed... even by the couple we had the conflict with.  Not to say that it wasn't at least a little awkward, but I see some hope that we may find a place in a local church

I have rambled on long enough. I need to get back to my machine... after all, Hanna's quilt is my August One Month Goal... I hear it calling me!

Not everyone may have a faith or belief as I do, but who can deny that there is a Creator?  

What part of Creation/Nature do you love most?  

Leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you.

Keep Piecing,

Melva

Linking with:

I Like Thursday at Not Afraid of Color
Thankful Thursday at Brian's Home
Little Things Thursday at Good Random Fun

4 comments:

  1. This year I have been really loving the flowers and blooming trees. We are taking long walks a few times a week and, with the funny weather we've had, I think everything is "bigger" and more beautiful. Or maybe I'm just more open to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful scene and how wonderful that kindness was on the schedule. We enjoyed your post and thanks for joining our Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just thinking today, I like the warm breezes that move the baby hairs around my face (hair in ponytail for summer) and the wild flowers that also dance in the breeze.
    I loved your story of your grands... so touching. I am adopted into a splintered family, and would love to have the family history and connections you described. Leeanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved reading your thoughts this evening! And how wonderful to be welcomed at your church....God is so good, isn't He? I'm curious - which Beverly Lewis book were you reading?? Beautiful quilt!!

    ReplyDelete