Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Time With Andy And Jack

Last week my time in "The Garden" with "Andy" was quality time.  (remember the joke about what God's name is? Andy walks with.  Andy talks with me...)
The vintage Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt is complete!  Woohoo!


I hand-stitched the binding on Friday as I pondered the significance of what the Last Supper and Good Friday meant to me as a Christian... They, along with Christ's Resurrection, are the Cornerstone of my belief.  Am I perfect?  Far from it!  I am a work in progress, and each day I strive to be better.  Some days are better than others.  And every day I recall that I need God's grace more than ever.  And with God's grace, we too can rise again...

I use 80% cotton batting and just LOVE the look of this quilt after being laundered...  it give it a look and feel of vintage, and years of love, comfort, warmth and use.

Here's a full shot...


And from the back...  It reminds me of a stained glass window. 💖


Those scalloped edges are gorgeous!  Other than my very first quilt, I have never done scalloped edges... and I have learned a ton of tips and techniques since then, not to mention that my skill has improved over the years.

The original maker of the quilt may have intended to make the quilt larger, or perhaps fill in the scalloped areas to make the sides straight like the top and bottom, but for whatever reason, there were three hexies that I removed.  

They became a part of the label...


Once I was done with "Andy's Garden" I turned my attention to the blocks for the Pieces of the Santa Fe Trail Sew Along.  I now have 8 blocks pieced and two patterns written and tested... and close to having a layout plan as well as fabric requirements.  You can learn a little more by following the link above.

This is where I spent time with Jack... the seam ripper.  He and I haven't had much time together, which is a good thing, but still... I cannot say that it was an enjoyable visit.  It was near the end of the day so I ripped and then sipped... some wine and called it a day!

Remember!  Block number 1 and an except of Marian's memoir will be released Thursday!  



My week is short as I will be leaving tomorrow to have some much needed time with girl friends.

I have a fun crafty project planned for us.  It will involve a cookie sheet and my cricut, scrapbooking papers, tape, scissors and clear contact paper.  We will be creating a magnetic board...  call it a prayer board, vision board, organizational board... each person can make it what they want.  I'll share pics next week. 😁

For now, I better get running...  But before YOU go...

Tell me what you have been working on lately.

I love to hear from you!

Piece out!

Melva

Linking with:

To Do Tuesday at Chris Knits & Sews
Mid-week Makers at Quilt Fabrication
Wednesday Wait Loss at The Inquiring Quilter
Stitch Sew & Show at Life in the Scrap Patch
Needle & Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
Favorite Finish at Meadow Mist


14 comments:

  1. I’ve been working on trimming quilts to bind them. I have four to bind. The first priority is the quilts for my soon to be born twin granddaughters! I am so excited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    Your Garden quilt is awesome...love all those
    pretty colors. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on a beautiful finish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Melva! I hope you are having a blast with your girlfriends. It is time well spent and well earned. Andy's Garden turned out just lovely. I can see and almost feel all of the great quilty squishiness. I am quite fond of the green sashing around each of the hexie blocks. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andy looks lovely. I'm workin on my temperature quilt this week, finishing up March and starting April. If I don't keep up I find it a real time-consumer to catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome finish!! It is just lovely. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so love "Andy's Garden"! It came out lovely and, yes, after the washing, it certainly has a vintage look to it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am wondering how you did the scalloped edging. I haven't decided yet how I will finish of my scrappy hexagons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you will email me I can send back a diagram of what I did. MelvaLovesScraps(at)NolanQualityCustoms(dot)com

      Delete
  9. Lovely quilt. Adore those scalloped edges! Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty! And I love how you incorporated 3 in the label, too. I'm going to look around to find the prayer board...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! Thanks for linking up with the Favorite Finish Monthly Linkup!

    ReplyDelete