Monday, March 22, 2021

Monday Ramblings

The first finished quilt top of the Pieces From the Past Sew Along has emerged!  Did you see my share on facebook ?


Karen Wang from LilyPadLoveQuilt presented it and linked up last week.  She resized most of the blocks since she had a limited amount of fabric that she planned to use for the quilt. 

"The fabrics that I used in the blue quilt top were all up-cycled:

one cotton white shirt that my son worn twice for his piano recitals:

one cotton one-piece skirt that my daughter loved but didn't get to wear too often;

one pair of my "big size" maternity pajama ..."

There is still time for you to link up and be included in the random drawing for one of five Kansas City Star Sampler pattern books by C&T Publishing.  No need to have a US mailing address with this give away!


Last week I had sandwiched the vintage scrappy Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt but didn't get started with the quilting until Saturday.  I have a good start on the vines and leaves...


You may wonder what I was pre-occupied with...  It was those cute little paper dolls!  They have all been machine appliqued and and ready for facial features.  After cleaning my machines I thought I would just stitch a few of them.  And then the next thing I knew I only had a few left.  LOL!  The only snag I had was when I encountered bobbin issues.  I was using clear nylon thread and I do sometimes have issues with it feeding properly... but the issue was getting progressively worse and quite frustrating... and then I discovered the problem!


The bobbin was in two pieces!  Well no wonder the machine was having issues!  I salvaged what thread I could and tossed the rest... and then I continued on with finishing those dolls.  

Since the beginning of the Santa Fe Trail Sew Along is just around the corner I decided I should be getting blocks made and patterns written...  three blocks pieced and two patterns written.  Here's a little tease...



So what will life bring this week???  The usual household responsibilities, of course, but I think I will be offering the bulk of my attention to the flower garden quilt.  The customer selected option E with an open center.  We will be going with a soft scalloped edge to bind on the sides and straight on the top and bottom. 

Happy Monday folks!  Monday's have had a bad rap for years... but what if... What if we approached Monday with the same attitude that most of us approach Friday?  Yes, I know that Monday generally means "back to work"  but what if we said "I GET to go back to work" rather than "I HAVE to go back to work"?  It's all about attitude.  I know that I can get into a slump and have a ho-hum feeling about life, but life is what we make of it.  Be a positive influence to those around you and watch the smiles increase and the joy be spread around and sprinkled all over the place like glitter! 

Your mind is a garden.  
Your thoughts are the seeds.
You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.

What is one of your favorite positive quotes?  

Leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!

Melva

Linking with:

To Do Tuesday at Chris Knits & Sews
Needle & Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
Can I Get A Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Off The Wall Friday with Nina Marie
Brag About Your Beauties at From Bolt to Beauty
Peacock Party at Wendy’s Quilts and More
Friday Foto Fun at Powered by Quilting
Finished or Not Friday at Alycia Quilts

11 comments:

  1. A long time ago, a quilt teacher told us in a machine quilting class to always use a metal bobbin when using monofilament thread. It’s because it winds so tightly that it can break a plastic bobbin. I’ve never seen that happen until yours! Guess she was right!
    I’ve really enjoyed your Pieces From The Past posts. I’m still hoping you’ll hear from Germany!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Flower Garden quilt will be so pretty! Love the vines in the background. Thanks for linking up today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely scrappy post! I enjoyed seeing the first quilt picture of your blocks. Nice layout. Ooooh, Santa Fe! Positive quote ... hmmm. "In the end, everything will be okay. If it’s not okay, it’s not yet the end." Fernando Sabino

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is one of my favorites: “A bell is not a bell till you ring it. A song is not a song till you sing it. Love in your heart isn’t put there to stay. Love isn’t love till you give it away."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your paper dolls are adorable and I'm so excited to watch the quilting progress on your grandmother's flower garden quilt! Here's one favorite quote that, to me, pertains to new challenges in quilt making: “It’s a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you’re ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.” Hugh Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,
    Love those paper dolls...the Grandmothers Flower
    Garden is beautiful...have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great Pieces from the Past quilt!!! all those memories for her! Hmm Santa Fe Trail - now that sounds interesting!! have fun quilting your antique quilt - it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the paper doll applique. It's going to be a wonderful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt. And wow, that bobbin looks like a Slinky from my childhood!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. One I learned recently from my physical therapist pre-op for my hip, Up with the good, Down with the bad. works for knee surgery too. So, up with the good leg, down with the bad leg. That is my mantra right now. Up with the good, Down with the bad. works for all areas of our lives.

    ReplyDelete