Monday, February 15, 2021

Tuesday To-Do Update

February is a short month and always seems to fly by... and here we are with the month 1/2 gone!  Most of the United States is in the fierce grip of an severe cold front and no doubt dreaming of warmer temps and spring.  I know we are!



However, because the cold temps have kept us from getting away (I mean even the south is cold!) I have been secluded away in my studio working diligently on the two commissioned t-shirt quilts.  

The first of the two, the two-sided quilt is awaiting fabric for a border on side two and the binding.  

So that extra bulk of the seams wouldn't be an issue, I made the blocks for the back only 12-inch blocks rather than the 14-inch blocks like the front.

Also, I have flannel fabric on order to use in the sandwich, rather than batting.  I think I will be very happy in making this decision.



Since I am in a holding pattern for this quilt, I pulled out the second quilt... this one is only the top only and it is sandwiched and ready for quilting.

The progress on both of these quilts are "ahead of schedule" since a second cancellation of our trip to Texas to visit our friends happened.  In case you haven't heard... the US in in the tight grip of winter and, while we would have gladly gone to help with breaking ice, caring for the nanny goats that are close to dropping kids and keeping track of the chickens and baby chicks they have.  I had actually volunteered to be their personal chef, head bottle washer and housekeeper, but still... it would have been lots of hard work on our part, we were willing... yet, they suggested that because the mood might not would not be light, cheery and fun-filled we postpone.  

No problem.  We will just wait until the 21st (and warmer weather)... and then we then got a request from our daughter about having the girls for a weekend visit since she and her husband are both working.  Sure!  This means that *sigh* we don't leave the 21st...  what is with this???  LOL!  

However, with the delays, I am almost guaranteed to have two quilts that will need the binding hand-stitched. 😁

Goals for the coming week?

❧  Get both quilts quilted and the binding attached and ready for hand-sewing.

❧ I'll be doing a little more research on Marion Sloan Russell's journeys on the Santa Fe Trail and begin writing cutting and assembly instructions for the block patterns and finalizing a schedule.


It is tempting to toss in another fun project on my to-do list.  One of my readers so kindly sent a set of Moda's "Flat Dolls" ~ like paper dolls, but better.  You don't have to worry about the cardstock dolls or paper clothing getting torn.  They are a little larger than most of the paper dolls I have seen too.  Perfect!  Thanks so much for sharing Kathleen. 😍

Speaking of goals and Tuesday To-Do's... did you hear that there is a new host for the linky party?

Chris, from Chris Knits & Sews will take over the linky party this week. 

Having a plan and setting goals is something I find helpful in keeping me on task.  It prevents me from picking up too many squirrel projects.  I'm not one that struggles with UFOs but I do tend to take some detours.  LOL!

How about you?  
Do you have a tendency for UFOs?  
Or are you more like me and find distractions?  Or, maybe you are well disciplined and don't have either of these issues.

Either way, leave a comment and let me know what your tendencies are... you know I love the brief visits from each of you.

Keep piecing!

Melva

Linking with:

Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt
Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
Colour & Inspiration at Clever Chameleon Quilting
To Do Tuesday at Chris Knits
Mid-week Makers at Quilt Fabrication
Wednesday Wait Loss at The Inquiring Quilter
Stitch Sew & Show at Life in the Scrap Patch
Put Your Foot Down at For the Love of Geese
Needle & Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
Can I Get A Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Off The Wall Friday with Nina Marie
Brag About Your Beauties at From Bolt to Beauty
Peacock Party at Wendy’s Quilts and More
Friday Foto Fun at Powered by Quilting
Finished or Not Friday at Alycia Quilts


14 comments:

  1. I, too am trying to avoid squirrels. It's the middle of February and I've already started one! And I'm not counting the mask-making, which has started again! These are for family and a church mission. Although, I'm giving myself credit for finishing a WIP of 2 years' duration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melva! Your t-shirt quilts look fabulous. I know they will be well received. I used flannel as batting several times and it works just great. It's a bit thinner but sometimes that's nice. Great job on your to-do list! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find distractions all the time!! LOL. Thanks for linking up, good luck with your quilting and life plans! Oh to go somewhere warmer right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of UFO, and Un Started Ideas as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your projects are all looking wonderful. The T-Shirt quilts will be well loved. Do you fuse the shirts to fusible fleece to stabilize them? It this why you use flannel for the batting? I have only made one T-Shirt quilt, a long time ago, and I did fuse the blocks. I used thin batting and a plain fabric back. It did make a puffy quilt and I used my regular machine and walking foot to quilt it. It was not my favorite thing to do. I am wondering if I might like it more with a better method. My daughter lives in one of the hardest hit states although she has been blessed and has not lost power. The streets are not plowed and everything is shut down, though my SIL had to go to work and stopped at a store to last night. He had to go to two s the first one was closed and the shelves were quite bare at the other. They are getting more snow today. We are due for another storm tomorrow but we are used to a long cold snowy wither in the northeast. May you and yours stay safe and warm and my your travels go well. Thanks for linking up today ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking t-shirt quilts. They're always one of my favorite quilts to make.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have tons of UFOs but it seems you don't because you are always so productive! Great looking tshirt quilts and way ahead of schedule too. Congrats! Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have more projects waiting to be started than UFO’s. I have been making quilt tops for several years now, in order to have a selection to choose from when doing graduation quilts for my piano students, so I don’t county them as UFO’s. This is the first year I need to actually quilt something, so my plan is to try and get one finished before March 1, and the other by May 1. My youngest daughter’s wedding quilt is technically a UFO; I had to abandon it to start quilting my eldest’s, as she is getting married in June!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don’t have very many UFO’s, but do have plans for projects to use up scraps that need to be started! However, in full disclosure I should explain that I have been making quilt tops for several years, building a stash to select graduation quilts for my piano students. This will be the first year with graduating seniors, so I will be quilting two from the selection cupboard this spring. I guess they are UFO’s until I get them finished, as is my youngest daughter’s wedding quilt, which had to be put away while I work in her sister’s.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like your t shirt quilts. I've been ranting a bit about one I've been doing so doing basically 3 t shirt quilts at the same time seems crazy. But you are making great progress. I think you made the right decision to skip the ridiculously cold weather. Hope you get a lot done this week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE what you did with the Dance T-Quilt, Melva!! Sorry about your trip to TX getting canceled.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bless you for commissioning t-shirt quilts. Not many of us quilters like them since they always seem fiddly!!
    Sending warmer thoughts to TX. It has been cold and stormy this past month in Canada, but we are used to it and prepared! Stay safe and sew on !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Why does February seem to go so fast? Enjoy the grandkids!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful T-shirt quilts! I'm not really an UFO girl, two doesn't count, right? ;))

    ReplyDelete