Thursday, January 28, 2021

Tuesday To-Do Two Days Late

A day late and a dollar short... okay two days late!  But I have been busy in my studio and having such a great time creating that I just didn't want to sit at the computer.

The last To Do List was...

 ✔  Research for the wrap up of the Pieces From The Past Sew Along Series and the beginning of the Pieces of the Santa Fe Trail. 

I have written stories and collected bits of history for the final two blocks - all I have to do is the final wrap-up of the series that will include the cutting instructions for the borders and binding.  

Like a few months ago, I am a bit melancholy about the end of this series approaching and haven't had the heart to write up a final story... 😭  


I have collected from my Mom the necessary information for the Santa Fe Trail series and the fabric I ordered arrived.  

I've exercised great restraint in not even opening the packages the fabric arrived in.  I am using that opportunity as a sort of "reward" for when I get the wrap-up post written.  I don't need one more distraction right now.  LOL!


✔  Perhaps another Chapel postcard or journal?

I had a request for a mug rug (hand-sewn hello postcard) from my Mom.  She needed a gift for a friend that has a birthday just around the corner.  (How is it possible that February is nearly here???)

This is Fishers Peak, the landmark that all locals are familiar with, and it happens to be the newest addition to the Colorado State Park System.  For many years the peak has been privately owned and is now accessible to the public.  A long awaited hope and dream of residents.

The sky and foothills fabric was from a workshop that I attended a few years ago that taught wax resist dying - a technique used in making batik fabrics.



✔  Purchase fabric for Hanna's giraffe quilt

I discovered there was no need to purchase fabric after searching my stash.  Woohoo!  I had the top completed last week and quilted it over the weekend. 

All that is left to do is to make a label.  I will wait until her arrival to do that so that I can include her date of birth.  And never really knows... maybe her name will change before May.  I hope not because, as silly as it seems, I have already become attached to Hanna.  

So up next?  

My sister-in-law had sent me a link (a few years ago) for a video  of a "paper-doll" quilt.  It is a brilliant idea!  You can design it to look like the recipient.  Maybe you have seen it... 

I then found a picture of a quilt with multiple "dolls" in different settings such as a beach or park as well as different clothing styles like winter or summer and various "careers" and diversity.  But the clothes were not changeable like the first doll was.  

❧  I am working on a "mash-up" of the two.  Multiple "dolls" with changeable clothes.  I will be making two quilts for our grand-daughters and their birthdays this summer.  These two are my "proto-types".  I'll continue on these two and see about designing some clothes for them before making a whole quilt full of them only to discover that the clothes don't work out.



❧  I'm expecting to receive a box of t-shirts from a customer to finish one t-shirt quilt and make a second one.  One was started and I'm not sure if she was intimidated by the process or if she just decided that she didn't have time.  Whatever the reason, I will be "working" in the near future.


And for those that were interested in the scrap de-stash... THANK YOU!  Happiness abounds in my scrap bin... as I begin again. :)

Before you go, tell me...

Do you ever "reward" yourself as an incentive to get a task done?

Leave a comment... you know I love to hear from you!

Stay piecing!

Melva


Melva Loves Scraps - Home of the Pieces From The Past Sew Along

that features vintage Kansas City Star quilt blocks!
Linking with:

Colour & Inspiration at Clever Chameleon Quilting
To Do Tuesday at Home Sewn By Us
Mid-week Makers at Quilt Fabrication
Wednesday Wait Loss at The Inquiring Quilter
Stitch Sew & Show at Life in the Scrap Patch
Put Your Foot Down at For the Love of Geese
Needle & Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
Can I Get A Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Off The Wall Friday with Nina Marie
Brag About Your Beauties at From Bolt to Beauty
Peacock Party at Wendy’s Quilts and More
Friday Foto Fun at Powered by Quilting
Finished or Not Friday at Alycia Quilts
Oh Scrap! at Quilting is More Fun Than Housework
Sunday Stash at QuiltPaintCreate
Patchwork & Quilts at The Quilting Patch
Scrap Happy Saturday at Super Scrappy
UFO Busting at Tish’s Wonderland
Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt
Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts


13 comments:

  1. That paper doll quilt sounds very interesting. I look forward to following your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post card, sweet giraffe quilt, and best of luck on the new commission T-quilts!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The post card is cool - now I want to visit there too! and the other projects look fun!! yep! I like the reward system!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Melva! It is rather bittersweet to have Pieces nearing the end. It's been a good run and I've enjoyed every minute of this sew-along. The paper doll quilt looks and sounds like fun. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots going on at your house! While I'm kinda sad to see Pieces end, it's also exciting to look forward to the new project, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely postcard! And yes, sometimes I reward myself in order to get something done - it works.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that pink giraffe quilt is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely postcard! Great progress on the giraffe quilt, sewing the label smells like a finish ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your postcard - how delightful for people nearby to be able to access that treasure now. Hanna's giraffe quilt is adorable, you whipped that up fast! And I can't wait to see your doll quilt... sounds like a fabulous idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many wonderful things! The postcard is perfect. Love that you can now visit Fishers Peak. The paper doll quilt captures my imagination! I can't wait to see it develop. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the "hills" quilt. One of my favorite quotes and I love landscape quilts. The paper dolls are sew interesting. Thank you for joining my linky party ... <3 Pat

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've seen a few paper doll quilt and they are absolutely adorable as is your giraffe quilt. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This morning, as I was trying to organize my fabric closet, I came upon a package of Moda Flats paper dolls and a package of Flats clothing. They are unopened in their plastic bags just as I received them years ago from a blog giveaway. I remembered reading about your paper doll project and thought you might like to have them for your granddaughters. I would be happy to send them to you. If you like, I can send photos first so you can see them.

    ReplyDelete