Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Tuesday's To-Do Musings

It has been several weeks since I linked with Home Sewn By Us for their Tuesday To-Do planning party...  Life was really busy, and suddenly all of the deadlines have passed and I have time to relax and take time to smell the roses.

Well, sort of... While I don't have any quilt projects waiting in line and screaming for attention, I DO have a need to begin writing out the patterns for the final six blocks of the Pieces From The Past Sew Along, along with gathering more family photos, stories and research dates and events... oh and stress over the fact that I realized that I have some of the letters that my Grandparents received from former German POW men out of chronological order.  **sigh**  Do I move things around?  Do I leave them???  

This is what happens when I guess at the translation of the dates/months.  All things considered, I have decided to leave them in the order as planned for my blog, but should something more transpire 'post sew along', I will certainly rearrange.

So, what will I plan for the coming week?  Besides plans for camping... 


❧  Prepare a few more Postcard Block kits for the camping journal quilt.  

I need to get two ready to from our weekend of "cabin camping" with our girls and grands.  

Recently I completed enough blocks to fill another row.  I now have seven rows done.  Still no idea how many rows I will end up with - perhaps 10-12 - but my husband has requested that the quilt be plenty big so that there are no gaps when we sleep on our sides.  Once I have determined that there a enough rows, I will add a small border and then add more journal blocks to create another border, two blocks wide.  

But in order to add more blocks we need to camp more!  I did notice last year that we didn't camp much in the hottest part of the summer either.  Campgrounds tend to be fuller and we have had some unpleasant experiences (like last year when we had the grand-daughters with us and loud, intoxicated neighbors that didn't seem to care that we were trying to sleep - none of us were happy campers!)


My most recent additions to this quilt were the sandpiper bird, sea turtle and pelican.  All representing nights from our vacation in February to the Gulf Coast of Texas.  The majority of the block patterns in the camping journal quilt are available from Fiona Sandwich.  A few are my own design - these three included.

We have had a few discussions about where we want to go next year.  It is looking like Southern New Mexico and West Texas right now, but there is still a lot of time between now and then and that is always subject to change.

❧  Scrapbooking!  I want to get the year of 2018 in the books.  I have had the pictures on hand for several months, but finally feel ready to archive them.  And when done I will be only 1-1/2 years behind.  

I am gaining ground!  I think I was 5 years (or more) behind at one point!

I mentioned previously that I will be doing some pattern writing... 

Anyone interested in doing some pattern testing for me?  

The individuals that have tested previously have recently had to drop out due to health challenges and busy schedules.  The patterns range from easy-peasy, beginner friendly to moderate difficulty with techniques that include traditional piecing and some foundation paper piecing.  Please leave a comment here (with an email address so I can respond if you are an anonymous or no-reply commenter or send me a message at MelvaLovesScraps@NolanQualityCustoms.com

 Piece Happy!

Melva


Melva Loves Scraps - Home of the Pieces From The Past Sew Along
that features vintage Kansas City Star quilt blocks!

Linking with:
What I Made Monday at Pretty Piney
Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt
Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
Colour & Inspiration at Clever Chameleon Quilting
To Do Tuesday at Home Sewn By Us
Mid-week Makers at Quilt Fabrication
Wednesday Wait Loss at The Inquiring Quilter

6 comments:

  1. I love the blocks in your journey quilt. What a great memory quilt you are creating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    Your camping quilt is awesome...love all the blocks.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melva! Your journey quilt is beautiful and I love your most recent blocks. How many more camping trips can you get in before the end of the year? Do you usually go somewhere nearby? Thank you for linking up today! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Melva!
    I'd love to help out with pattern testing! Just finishing up a test quilt for Flamingo Toes this week...second one I've done for her this year. I've also tested patterns for Kohatu Patterns. Love paper-piecing, so I'm open for pretty much anything. My email address is ginascustomcreations@yahoo.com in case you can't reply via my comment. Someone told me a few months ago my account comes up as a no-reply commenter, and I can't figure out how to change that. I never knowingly set it up that way, and I miss a lot of things because of it. Google was no help trying to get it figured out/changed either. Thank you for your consideration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how your camping journal is coming together! Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your camping quilt... and that it is prompting you to go camping more!! We did a 3 month road trip with small kids and loud/intoxicated neighbours are the pits under those circumstances, so I understand the attraction of avoiding the crowds. This quilt is quite the undertaking but it is going to be amazing. Thanks for sharing at Clever Chameleon.

    ReplyDelete