Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Ta-Da! Tuesday

I squeaked by, just barely, but I did it!  Ta-Da!  My two To-Do things on the list are checked off successfully.

  Work on a few "postcard blocks" for our Camping Journal Quilt


Here is Lake Corpus Christie...  the picture didn't quite capture the brilliance of the sky, but I like the block.


Below is the lighthouse on Bolivar Island, across the bay from Galveston, TX....

That lighthouse was definitely a tricky one to get straight and centered.  It required some unpicking of stitches, and while still not perfect, I can accept it as it is.



This is a block I designed to represent the San Antonio Riverwalk...  I do recall seeing some of the medallions with the rounded sections, but I must not have snapped a picture of that one.  And perhaps I should have looked at the photo before I prepped the block... Oh, well... close enough!







  Make 104 flying geese for a border on the commissioned quilt.  I will be making them using Eleanor Burns' "4 at a time method" so it should be too terribly hard.

I used, for the first time, a small ruler that had been passed on to me about 8-9 years ago, and it made the trimming of the FG very accurate and consistent.

I loved it!  That 45 degree line is slightly raised on the back of the ruler and it snugged right up to the seam.  

The 4-at-a-time method is not hard, and probably faster than making each FG unit individually, it was still SOOOO moving.  Wah, wah, wah.  

Camping was a great time... S'mores did happen.  One of the couples that we were with brought GIGANTIC marshmallows.  It was fun watching the roasting of them as individuals attempted to not lose into them fire because they were spinning or torching them because they wanted them just a little more toasty.

My one vegan, gluten-free s'more was delish!

What's up on the agenda for the coming week?   

❧  Borders and sandwiching the king-sized quilt

❧  And if all goes well, start quilting said quilt!


I don't have a ton of specialty rulers... but what is one specialty ruler YOU would recommend?  

Leave a comment... you know I love to hear from my readers.

Piece happy!

Melva
Melva Loves Scraps - Home of the Pieces From The Past Sew Along
that features vintage Kansas City Star quilt blocks!
Linking with:

To Do Tuesday at Home Sewn By Us
Mid-week Makers at Quilt Fabrication
Wednesday Wait Loss at The Inquiring Quilter
Put Your Foot Down at For the Love of Geese
Needle & Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
Creative Compulsions at Bijou Bead Boutique
Can I Get A Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Off The Wall Friday with Nina Marie
Brag About Your Beauties at From Bolt to Beauty
Peacock Party at Wendy’s Quilts and More
Friday Foto Fun at Powered by Quilting
Finished or Not Friday at Alycia Quilts


8 comments:

  1. My recent purchase is a Quick Curve ruler from Sew Kind of Wonderful. It's opened up a plethora of curved blocks to make. I like the Eleanor Burns method of Flying Geese also. Quick and accurate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melva! I unwittingly and unknowingly had an EB flying geese ruler that I just used for the first time yesterday. I made four FG at a time following the pattern (not necessarily EB's method but it may have been). I was thrilled to see I had a ruler just the right size to trim the FG blocks. The specialty ruler I have and LOVE are Bloc-Loc for trimming HSTs. They have a channel on the wrong side that the seam fits into perfectly for easy trimming. Your photos are just gorgeous! I can see the inspiration in both of your postcard blocks. Good luck on your king size quilt! Thank you for linking up today. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I have to smile when I see your "ta-da"--my sis and I always text that (with a pic) anytime we finish ANYthing. A block, a row, a whole quilt. Ta-da indeed! Love lighthouses. I'll have to get down there to see that one. It's not a far drive from KS and I've always wanted to visit more of that area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whatever is needed to finish a project right

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dont have a lot of rulers either but the one I cannot live without is my Stripology ruler. It was a saving grace when I made the Burgoyne Surrounded quilt. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love my Good Measure rulers, designed by Kaye England for Nifty Notions. They were originally called "Cut for the Cure" rulers because a portion of the proceeds is donated to breast cancer research, but the Susan G. Komen foundation SUED them to change the name(?!!!). Anyway, what I like about them, especially the HST and QST rulers because they let you cut your triangles from strips that are the same size as the squares in your blocks instead of having to do that weird math with the 7/8" and cross-cutting or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What??? 104 flying geese... that is quite a gaggle!! haha! Love the lighthouse!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your travel journal blocks. I should have done that back when I traveled. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete