Monday, June 8, 2020

It's Just Too... Tuesday To-Do

I think I am safe to say (and have others agree) that life lately has been just TOO!  Too messy... Too difficult... Too challenging... Too overwhelming...

In February Dave and I turned off the news... with the exception of one of the Sunday morning shows that tends to be more entertainment/documentary than "news".  This week I turned it off as well.  While I feel it is important to be informed of the happenings in the world, I simply could not take it any more.

I firmly believe that there is a way for reporters to present the facts of an event without skewing said facts or spewing a personal opinion.  I miss the "Walter Cronkite" style and the days of offering only the facts as well as ALL of the facts. 

But as many quilters and other artists and individuals do when life is just TOO, we turn toward something that can sooth one's soul and offer comfort and solace from the things out of our control.  This is what I did this week... and this is why I knocked off the two items I had on my To-Do List with ease.


✔Making 12 flying geese and the 6 nine-patch blocks for the commissioned quilt  Not only did I get these two items complete, got all of the filler blocks done AND assembled the center of the quilt and am now ready for the border!


As I shared a picture on instagram of the top on Friday, I discovered that there was an error.  (Do you see it?)  It has been rectified and I really am ready for borders.  However, since the great rush on fabric at the local Wal-mart for COVID-19 mask making, I am now shopping on-line for said border fabric.





 Pattern writing... I'll shoot for two again.  Done!

Of 22 patterns for the sew along, 17 have been written, 12 tested and 8 published.

The goal of this sew along is to share the vintage patterns, along with a bit of history and some family stories all while having fellow quilters of all levels enjoy the patterns while using a variety of quilting techniques.

So far the patterns have included traditional piecing, English paper piecing, and foundation paper piecing, as well as some embroidery and applique.

So what is on tap for the coming week???

❧   Acquire border and backing fabric for the commissioned quilt.  In my dreams I would say sandwiched and ready for quilting as well, but I don't think that is reasonable since I am ordering on-line.

❧   Finalize the next Pieces From the Past pattern release on June 18.

❧   Order 2018 pictures for the scrapbook (you may remember this was on the list a few weeks ago... I think I really am ready this time! 😉)

Sometimes life can feel like the rug has been pulled right out from under you... that is what last week felt like to us.  Not just because of continued social distancing due to the virus or the rioting/protesting.  What really shook us was the news of the resignation of our pastor due to on-going and worsening/ challenging health conditions for him and his wife.  

As I said earlier, I sought solace in my studio and having a large project to work on gave my life focus and purpose and place to escape...


What do you do when you feel whey-layed by life?

Leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you 

Quilt peacefully,

Melva
Melva Loves Scraps - Home of the Pieces From The Past Sew Along
that features vintage Kansas City Star quilt blocks!

Linking with:

What I Made Monday at Pretty Piney
Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt
Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
Colour & Inspiration at Clever Chameleon Quilting
To Do Tuesday at Home Sewn By Us
Mid-week Makers at Quilt Fabrication

Wednesday Wait Loss at The Inquiring Quilter


8 comments:

  1. Glad you found solace in your studio. I totally understand your worry. Our pastor resigned over a year ago and it has been a nightmare for our small church. In our church, we go to committee, makes a church profile, then its approved (delayed due to covid), interim priest has been with us over a year. Meanwhile, I priority mailed 3 quilts today to charities and a fire at the post office. Mailman said packages were OK but it remains to be seen. 2020 is a gift that needs to go away!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quilting and reading are very relaxing and comforting for me and I have been trying to get outside for a little time each day. Our pastor is on sabbatical but we have our services live streamed each Sunday and that is an encouragement to me. I have stopped watching the news because as you say life has just been TOO.... I wish the news reporters would realize we could draw our own conclusions if they just reported the facts and the real facts. I get frustrated when you hear a story on the news but when you dig deeper it is not really the way it was reported because so many things are misleading in order to present the opinions of the network.

    I hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, Melva, don't get me started on reporters!! They are no longer reporters but "opinionators" in my opinion. Like you, I would deeply appreciate, "just the facts, ma'am, just the facts" type reporting again. But this younger generation has been taught differently. I'm looking forward to being back in church with my church family this coming weekend. We actually started this past Sunday, but I was not feeling well, so decided to play it safe and stay home. On to more quilting projects this week...YAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Melva....how your post today did resonate with me. I won't even start what passes for journalism today. I seldom watch much of the "news" and when I do I find myself getting angry. I'm not stupid, I do not like being lied to or manipulated. If I want an op-ed piece I'll go read a magazine or newspaper. I'm tired of hearing the opinions of people who all seem to be in agreement that THEIR opinion is the only one that matters. I, too, find solace at my sewing machine, or in hand-stitching. There is also my garden, my flowers and my grandchildren, and last but not least, my faith. They all help to center me, calm me and give me hope. I've been especially down this week because so many of my favorite bloggers seem to have succumbed to an alternate version of what to me is the truth. While we can agree to disagree about things time is too short and too precious for me to read things that only upset me and go against what my spirit says is deception. At least we are back in church after 11 weeks! Blessings from WV!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Melva! Look at that quilt top! It's beautiful . . . and no, I cannot see an error. We have had the news off for months now. I get multiple emails from our local newspaper because I subscribe to it online, so I can pick and chose the articles I wish to read. Is there a deadline for your commissioned quilt? I'll bet your customer is very pleased with it if she has seen any of the recent photos. Thanks so much for linking up this week. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have also felt that everything is too intense, too much, lately. Thanks for commiserating! Every time I see that quilt, I like it SO much. It took me forever to find the mistake. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally with you on the news these days. Even the newspaper is a drag to read, but as you said, I need to stay somewhat informed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear about your minister. Quilting had always been my relief and it seems to be yours as well. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete