Friday, February 14, 2014

Feelin' Free... Sorta.

I have recently joined a group of quilters on-line through a kind of a "video conference" call using modern technology.  The purpose of this group is to participate in free motion quilting lessons and offer feedback as to the helpfulness of written directions that are offered, techniques, hints and suggestions.

It is quite a fun group to be a part of and it offers me just what I need to help me take my quilting to "a next level".  The thing is, it takes practice!  We are encouraged to practice 15 minutes a day... doesn't sound like much, but I tend to get stuck there at the machine - usually criticizing the "homework" that I have done.

So, what have I learned? That stippling is much harder for me than making loops.  Why?  I don't know, probably because with stippling (or meandering) you are not to cross over an already stitched line.  Making loops just feels more natural to me.  I am hoping that this will be a benefit when (if) I ever get to doing feathers.

 
Wavy Lines - I am much better at doing this just with my regular presser foot and settings.  What looked like the most simple thing to do, was the most frustrating for me! Blech!
 

Stippling - I realized I was trying to make it too close together... the stitches became much more even when I loosened it up some.

 
Making Loops - This was much more fun for me!  Again, I was trying to make the loops MUCH too small.  I had to relax and loosen up and feel free!

 
I think I am ready to move on to making some daisy flowers and mazes.

No comments:

Post a Comment