Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Wordy Wednesday

The production level coming out of my studio has been off the charts lately!  Despite interruptions like my husband's business website crashing and needing to be re-created, making sales on-line as Mom continues to downsize and prepare for a move.

This green memory quilt, #2/3, is my latest finish...

It's all been amazing and great!  But quite honestly, I am longing to escape, unplug and go camping.  If it doesn't happen soon I think I will just pretend. You know... turn off the wi-fi, pull out all the hand-sewing projects and books... and take a deep breath and MAKE a Sabbath.

Not that we haven't enjoyed a few trips out of town to watch one grand-daughter play softball and another to celebrate the 3rd birthday of our youngest grand, as well as relaxing Sundays with a morning of attending church and an afternoon walk.  But I am feeling a bit of wanderlust setting in and need more than a few hours to relax.  I am needing a time away... away from the list of items that need to be done (along with my imaginary and sometimes ridiculous deadlines that I place on them).  A time to decompress and get plenty of fresh air.

The winds here have been obnoxious lately.  I have forced myself to get out for a walk each day despite them.  It does wonders for the mind and body!  I never regret our walks.  The winds are very typical for spring though... I keep reminding myself of this fact... even though it does not make the wind stop.

But a little time spent slow-stitching in the evening has helped.  Stitching the Psalms has been soothing and relaxing.  


I have two in progress because I started one (the pink one)... I didn't really like the way it was looking so I set it aside to start the second one.  The stiches in the purple flowers are boring and I have to fiddle with the variegated thread I am using to get the proper shading. (I am using only threads that I have in my stash and refuse to purchase more because... well, it is all about using what I have!)

As I have added more to the pink photo the better I like it.  Plus, the stitching is more fun... lazy daisy and french knots. :)

I can remember learning these two embroidery stitches from a cousin, Helen. I think I made a dish towel first and then I made an apron.  I still have the apron.  Our daughters would take turns wearing it when they played "restrump".  That is how Heather pronounced restaurant.   They would have a small pad of paper and take orders.  They would bring the pretend food shortly later, along with a bill.  lol!  As they grew older they would take orders for lunch and then actually make us lunch.  

Enough of my rambling.  I have a to-do list staring me in the face.  But before you go...

Do you do embroidery?  Who taught you? 

Keep Piecing,

Melva

Linking with:


m

9 comments:

  1. Hopefully it is not "Windy" Wednesday at your house today! The wind has been bad in N. Colorado this week, too. Like you, I'm trying to get out in it anyway because I feel so much better when I do. Your memory quilt is a great finish! I've just taken up embroidery in the last few years, but really enjoy it. Mr. Google has a lot of resources for learning stitches! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if the wind blowing adds to that feeling of wanderlust? Teachers often say children come back to class from the school yard in a much more unsettled state if the wind has been blowing hard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That memory quilt is absolutely amazing! Such a fun story about your daughters waiting on you and giving you a bill. Thanks for joining Angel Brian's Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love seeing your Memory quilts. This one is so gorgeous. Such sweet memories of your daughter playing restaurant; my sisters and I used to do the same as kiddos. I had to smile when you mentioned how she pronounced restaurant. My daughter used to call Cracker Barrel - "crackers in a barrel" . She really thought that was the name . Aren't those most memories so precious? Have a wonderful day, Melva.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet story about your girls. I may have to teach my grands to play restrump! LOL. Wonderful memory quilt. I hear you on the get away! We might head to Colorado in a few weeks, Hubster is helping a friend who's building a cabin. Thanks for linking up with TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is interesting about your winds and how annoying they have been to you. My husband hates wind, which we really had very infrequently in south Texas. When our daughter moved to Dallas years ago, she was delighted with the winds and said it kept things fresh - lol! Hope you get to enjoy a get-away soon. Such a cute story about your daughters. Embroidery was self-taught in my case.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely job on the memory quilt! The embroidered cards are gorgeous and must be very meditative to make. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/05/08/wednesday-wait-loss-379

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your memory quilt. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Melva, that's a great memory quilt. Hope you get to take holidays again soon. Thanks for linking up to Free Motion Mavericks.

    ReplyDelete