Sunday, May 19, 2024

Sew & Tell ~ Scrappy Placemats ~ May 20, 2024


I finished the last of the three memory quilts for my client this week!  Woohoo!


That meant that I was able to play!  I always enjoy making the memory quilts (they are among my favorite to make because each one is unique), but all work and no play... need I say more?


I pulled out two bags of strips that were acquired from a quilter clearing out her stash several years ago.  I started sewing strips together.  I used two different sizes - 6-1/2" long and 4" long.  I pulled randomly until I had sections that were wider than 18".  When they were done, I pulled out the scrap bin and started making FPP scrappy double flying geese - 3" wide.

As I pulled the bags out, I remembered Susan and offered a prayer of thanksgiving for her and for the opportunity to make something beautiful (and useful) out of scraps.  Several of the strips reminded me of shirts that my Mom made for Dad.  As I pulled bits and scraps from the bin, I remembered the various quilts that the cut-offs had come from... some from these three memory quilts. :)

If you look closely, you can see I have them marked for quilting, which will happen lickedy-split fast as I FMQ straight lines, rather than using a walking foot (which is sooooooo slow 🐌).  I figured that if I can control stitch length and speed with FMQ twisted ribbons, vines, leaves and feathers, why can't I do straight lines??? I could not come up with a reason to NOT do it... so I DO do it. ;)  Granted... I do use a domestic machine.  Quilting on a long-arm may be something completely different.

Since the idea of placemats were from Dave, I will consult with him about whether I do rounded corners or leave them square.  I will have them finished and on the table before we leave for a quick get-away.  

This means that I need to gather together all of the supplies (patterns, fabric, glue and thread) I need for the blocks to be made for our Camping Journal Quilt.  I am looking forward to it.  


This brings us to our Sew & Tell feature ~ Leeanna at Not Afraid of Color showed off her RSC projects in pink. I just love the pink rose.  She also shared a couple watercolor paintings.  Go give some accolades 👏

Now it is time for you to Sew & Tell what you have been working on.

Before you go... 

Have you ever used FMQ for straight lines?

Kee Piecing!

Melva

Linking with:

Oh Scrap! at Quilting is More Fun Than Housework
Sunday Stash at QuiltPaintCreate
Slow Stitching Sunday at Kathy’s Quilts
Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
Monday Musings at Songbird Designs
Craftastic Monday at Sew Can Do
Home Matters at Days Filled with Joy
m


10 comments:

  1. Yes, I have quilted straight lines with FMQ. Well, they were supposed to be straight lines.....LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a way to secure my longarm to do straight lines, but I sure haven't mastered it yet. Have fun on your quick getaway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those strips with the double flying geese. Very cool placemats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do make the memory quilts so special, Melva. I am so glad you were able to enjoy some time in the quilt room. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thinking placemats with the crumb blocks---then taking them to the family Christmas and let the families pick out what they would like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those placemats Melva! Thanks for joining in on Home Matters Linky Party! I will be featuring your post this week! #HomeMattersParty xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the placemat design with those flying geese and strips.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Melva, that is a great pattern for the placemats. Congrats on finishing your three memory quilts. As for straight lines, I only FMQ them if I don't mind if they are NOT straight! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the strips with the flying geese, Melva! Your memory quilts look great. I usually don't do straight lines unless I am quilting on my domestic machine. I think they look great though! Thanks for sharing with us at Monday Musings and for hosting Sew & Tell!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Melva your placemats are going to be lovely! Thank you for hosting Sew and Tell and for linking with ToDo Tuesday! 😉 I hope you’ve had a great week and have everything ready for your getaway.

    ReplyDelete