Monday, August 2, 2021

July Favorite Finish - Cake Walk Quilt

As I looked back over the past month... where did it go, by the way?  I can see I spent a great deal of time in my studio...

But the favorite finish of the month was the Cake Walk Quilt... it is my customer's quilt featuring Dresden Plate bocks and a few Sun Bonnet Sue blocks that appear to be "walking around the edge of the quilt".  



I struggled with a quilting design idea and went back and forth about several options, but finally settled on "connecting the dots" as one reader suggested.  


I stitched in some flowers that reminded me of a cabbage rose in the dots and in the center of the Dresden blocks, and added in petals that resemble a sunflower on the blades of the plates.

The Sun Bonnet Sue blocks seemed to be lacking something...

I considered a cabbage rose on either side of the girls, but that didn't seem to be enough.  Even Dave, my husband who I often consult about ideas, had nothing...


And then an idea came to me... in the early morning hours.  Create a "frame" around the girls with a cabbage roses connected with vines and leaves.  

Perfect!

An extra wide binding, as my customer requested since there was no border, finished off the quilt perfectly.

It does lend itself to a vintage quilt without the border.





I have never done rounded corners on a quilt... 

The extra wide binding offered a bit of a challenge with them but I didn't hesitate to gently gather the excess of the binding by doing a running stitch.  I like the look of it!

Have you done rounded corners on quilts?

Leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you.

Stay Pieceful,

Melva

Linking with:

Favorite Finishes Monthly Linkup at Meadow Mist
Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt
Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
Mid-week Makers at Quilt Fabrication
Wednesday Wait Loss at The Inquiring Quilter
Stitch Sew & Show at Life in the Scrap Patch
Put Your Foot Down at For the Love of Geese
Needle & Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
Can I Get A Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Off The Wall Friday with Nina Marie
Brag About Your Beauties at From Bolt to Beauty
Peacock Party at Wendy’s Quilts and More
Friday Foto Fun at Powered by Quilting
Finished or Not Friday at Alycia Quilts
Scrap Happy Saturday at Super Scrappy


12 comments:

  1. this is the most darling quilt--love your Sunbonnet Sue's walking around the edges--what fun!! Your quilting turned out beautifully, too hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is sooo gorgeous Melva! My most favorite quilt blocks in one quilt. Who would have thought? This is one that I would love to make. Your quilting is beautiful also.
    Have I ever done rounded corners on a quilt? Yes I have. I have also done scalloped ones. When I do these, I always make my binding Biased. It goes around the edges easily and looks very good. Try it sometime. I actually like it better than straight binding. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If doing rounded corners use bias as the binding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a wonderful quilt! Love the name because it fits so perfectly. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely quilt, I'm glad you finally found how to quilt it. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a sweet quilt, and very vintage looking! I've never done rounded corners on a quilt, but like the look. What size is an extra wide binding?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The quilting is fabulous. Framing the girls using the cabbage roses is perfect. Sewing the extra wide binding on the rounded corners must have been a challenge, but it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The quilting is perfect! Nope, I haven't done extra wide binding on rounded corners; but your rendition looks great. I think I'd have had sweaty palms trying to figure that gentle gathering for the four corners!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a gorgeous finish!! and I like the way you did that binding!! too cool!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adorable quilt and I love the addition of lace to the skirt bottom. As for rounded corners, nope, haven't tackled that one yet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This quilted up beautifully. The cabbage roses are a wonderful touch. Lovely quilt. Thanks for sharing ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete