Friday, May 28, 2021

Fabulously Branded


After my previous pathetic, whiney post I am happy to report that the Brand Quilt is D. O. N. E. DONE!

I did fuss and muddle my way through the border with the rope, and with all of the support and suggestions I got it done. Sarah's comment "Tell your husband to quilt it if he wants the #@$ $#*&! Rope." made laugh so hard.  It was a great release of tension!  But... at the same time, I made the decision to limit the rope design to only two sections of the borders.  It would never win any awards, other than one for "finished is better than perfect", and I learned a lot!  The fact that I switched the thread to a color to match to help "hide" the imperfections was a saving grace!

The braid fills the wider border nicely.  Kelvin may think that there is more quilting in that section than the wanted, but I felt it was important to secure the batting on the edges a little more than elsewhere.  The instructions on the package recommended quilting up to 3" apart and I think I am pretty close to that with the outline of the brands and the frames around them, and then the outer frame of each block.  And I was pleasantly surprised to see that the wool batting did actually offer a higher loft that the 80/20 batting that I typically use.  I think he will be pleased with it.  You'll notice that I returned to the corral area for this photo shoot... It was the perfect back drop. 😍



With this quilt D.O.N.E. I can return my attention to the Santa Fe Trail quilt which is ready to sandwich and quilt.  After reviewing some of my reference books for heirloom style quilting and vintage quilts, I know how it will be quilted.  Here's a sneak peek at the sashing strips, cornerstones and borders...




The backing is prepped and ready to go.  I went with a pieced backing...


Guess what I will be doing this weekend????  You know where to find me... 😉

What are YOUR plans for the weekend?  Do they involve any quilting?  Maybe some travel?  Time with family?

Leave a comment... I'd love to hear what you will be doing.  

And on this Memorial Day Weekend, keep the Gold Star Families in mind... All gave some, and some gave ALL.  I think some soldiers return from their time in the Military, and bring back ghosts and memories that haunt them and in the end, see no way out, so they choose what they feel is their only choice... Suicide.  So, even those soldiers end up giving ALL.  I wish there was a better answer for them... Won't you join me in prayer for these men and women?  And their families?

Blessings,
Melva

Linking with:

Put Your Foot Down at For the Love of Geese
Needle & Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
Can I Get A Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Off The Wall Friday with Nina Marie
Brag About Your Beauties at From Bolt to Beauty
Peacock Party at Wendy’s Quilts and More
Friday Foto Fun at Powered by Quilting
Finished or Not Friday at Alycia Quilts
Scrap Happy Saturday at Super Scrappy
UFO Busting at Tish’s Wonderland
Oh Scrap! at Quilting is More Fun Than Housework
Sunday Stash at QuiltPaintCreate
Patchwork & Quilts at The Quilting Patch
Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt
Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
Favorite Finishes Monthly Linkup at Meadow Mist




20 comments:

  1. We're celebrating my husband's birthday on Monday with a few family members. It's been a while since we've been together. I appreciate those who served, especially my father who was in Patton's army in WWII and my mum who was an Army nurse in VA facilities during the war. I make at least on veteran quilt each year to donate to our local VA facility.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your brands quilt is very clever. (And DONE!) I know that feeling when you just want to finish the project. What a great reminder to us of all the different ways men and women have served. Right now I'm quilting a RWB quilt that will make its way to a veteran. My dad was career Navy after commissioning through USC's ROTC at the beginning of the War II.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super quilt finish. The photo setting is perfect for your brand quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melva, that is a beautiful backdrop and perfect for that quilt! I like how the rope turned out in the border. I recently used wool batting for the first time and love the loft it gives! Monday will be a quiet day at our house. The kids will be on their way to Panama City for the week and my brother and sister-in-law, who've been visiting, will go back to Virginia on Sunday. We will all have a family lunch today. As for stitching, I'm not sure just what I'll be working on next week! I have some blog hop projects to get busy on. We will definitely keep the Gold Star families in our thoughts and prayers. Have a wonderful holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great finish, and such a clever idea for a quilt! I like those photos in the corral, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm I am loving that quilt!! What a great way to feature those brands!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,
    Awesome quilt...love the colors you used
    for this quilt...have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the sneak peak of the sashing and cornerstones. I hadn't given that any thought yet. I'm trying to use what I already have in my stash so I'll be pulling fabric this weekend. The wool batting gives your ropes a nice full look. Your determination in creating the rope design is admirable. I'm not sure I would have stuck with it. They look great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your spectacular quilt finish, Melva!! The design is so unique and will surely be a special quilt for a special recipient.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your brand quilt is soooo pretty and I bet was a lot of fun to create. Happy quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow... that quilt really turned out amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on the finish. I hope this next one goes a little smoother for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry you had a tough time with this quilt, but you got there in the end! It is unique, and terrific! Thanks also for the sneak peek at the Santa Fe Trail quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on the finish! Your Brand quilt is beautiful, and I love your quilting. Beautiful job.
    Have fun with Santa Fe quilting now!
    Thank you for linking up today ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh how fabulous your Brand quilt is! AND....how fabulous it looks having it's picture took in the corral, with that beautiful scenery as the backdrop. Enjoy stitching your Santa Fe quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great finish and the perfect background for the photo too! Spending some time quilting today as well as cooking up some "requested" dishes to go with pulled pork that we are cooking on the Traeger today!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Melva! Wonderful branding quilt finish. It turned out great. I will certainly join you in pray for the soldiers and their families. But for their service and the willingness to give ALL, I hate to think where we'd be. {{Hugs}} Happy Memorial Day to you! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful finish! Perfect backdrop for the glamour shots!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks wonderful, all the fussing was worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think it looks great, Melva! A lovely and meaningful quilt.

    ReplyDelete