Thursday, July 2, 2020

Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness

As we celebrate our Nation's  Independence Day  I am wondering about life, liberty and pursuit of happiness...

Life... the life of the current age is so very different from when I was a child.  An age when accepting, admitting your responsibility for choices made and dealing with the consequences that came with said choices.

Make good choices... get good, may even great, results.  Make poor choices, pay the price of the consequence.

In the pursuit of happiness I have recently made the decision to remove facebook from my tablet.  Too much time spent with the time suck and increased agitation and frustration with reading conflicting opinions and stories.  I can surely find a better way to spend my time and being more efficient!  (I have pulled out some quilting magazines and peruse them while I make breakfast or dinner.  I have found several inspiring ideas for some small projects in the very near future.)  Have you ever unplugged from social media?  Has it been a "forever thing" or just a temporary fast?

With the Fourth of July rapidly approaching I was asked by my Uncle for a Red/White/Blue mug rug.

So I kindly obliged...  This little improv project was quick to make and finished at 5" x 7"... all from my scrap bin with no concern over precise measurements or need for much accuracy. 




As I pieced this mug rug (I also refer to them as hand-sewn hellos) as a break from quilting the borders of the king-sized commissioned quilt, I considered my life... my life as a US Citizen with the privilege of voting and opportunities for freedom of speech and religion, along with the right to bear arms... for all the men and women (my own Dad included) that have served in the US Military to protect and defend not only our Land, but all the rights that we seem to take for granted.

May I never forget the hardships of my Grandparents as arrived in the US as immigrants... May I never forget that, as it states on our US currency, In God We (I) Trust... 

Recently, while on social media on the desktop computer, I saw a statement...

On March 17th we are all Irish...  On May 5th we are all Mexican...  How about on July 4th we all act like Americans.  A profound statement! 

America - the melting pot of the world... where people of all nationalities come to have an opportunity for a better life than the life they were living in another country.  

Are you proud to be an American?  I am.  If you have a few minutes, take a listen... you may have seen this before - it is a several years old, but it worth listening to... and it is Robin Williams!  He is always good for a laugh or two.



Have a safe weekend!  And don't forget the responsibility that comes with being a US citizen.

Piece Out,

Melva
Melva Loves Scraps - Home of the Pieces From The Past Sew Along

that features vintage Kansas City Star quilt blocks! 

Linking with:

Put Your Foot Down at For the Love of Geese
Needle & Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
Creative Compulsions at Bijou Bead Boutique
Can I Get A Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Off The Wall Friday with Nina Marie
Brag About Your Beauties at From Bolt to Beauty
Peacock Party at Wendy’s Quilts and More
Friday Foto Fun at Powered by Quilting
Finished or Not Friday at Alycia Quilts
Scrap Happy Saturday at Super Scrappy

12 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your thoughts on being an american.
    I read it all to my husband.
    And we watched The video...outstanding!!
    Just what we needed. You said how we feel so Beautifully.
    Happy Fourth of July to you and again, Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melva! Happy Independence Day to you and your family. Valid points you make and I agree wholeheartedly. I am proud to be an American, although not so much our leader representing us to all the other nations. Stay safe and healthy! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I enjoyed this and passed in on!
    Margie/TN

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Melva, for a kind and gentle reminder. I like the saying you found. I hope we can all remember that we are American FIRST, and work out our differences. I love my country, and I'm proud to be an American, every single day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so nice to read some sanity in world filled with so much insanity. Your thoughtful post was just what I needed today. That was a good piece by Robin Williams. I miss him.

    I still visit facebook for the connection to my family and friends, but I sure don't go there as often as I did. A big time waster and I have better things to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute little mug rug, Melva!! I'm sure your uncle will appreciate your effort.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Melva, I was lucky to be born here....one of my greatest blessings. Another was two loving parents. I love your entry today. I am so glad you came here and appreciate the wonderful blessings offered by this country. My only social media are quilt and cooking blogs! I have never been on Facebook and I recently deleted the Twitter app.....I rarely looked at it. Let's celebrate this wonderful country today. God bless the USA!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your wonderful, thoughtful post! Thank you for sharing such wisdom! Also, that mug rug is awesome. I wonder if you'd mind if I made a few for my family members - our family has a strong history of serving in the various branches of our USA military. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I am proud to be an American, but sad and disappointed at what our country has recently become. But still my preference country of this world. I only do email and face book, none of the others, and enjoy meeting fellow quilters in face book and seeing what they are making.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your mug rug!! Unplugging... I took FB off my phone as well - but it is accessible on my computer - so now if I want to get on - I have a timer - and bam - off.... It is one way to keep your sanity ;-) Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent post! One we all need to read! I also loved the video. ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great mug rug. I saw the same statement on social media and it is so fitting. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down.

    ReplyDelete