Tuesday, July 16, 2019

A Time For All Seasons - July


In June I wondered what the July blocks would be... perhaps fireworks, or picnic theme... or star or flag related...




I was excited to see the waving stripes block offered by Carla over at Creatin' in the Sticks


My first block reminds me of a picnic and apple pie with the checked gingham and the apples on the blue stripe.

I love my second block with the color placement that gives the illusion of a waving flag and shadows...






However, I could not get the idea of a flag block out of my mind!  It was an idea that came to me in the early dawn hours of the day and I just HAD to respond to the calling...

My first plan was to have a 5-1/2" block of star fabric along with some wavy red/white striped fabric to make up the block.

It would have taken less than five minutes to make it, but I did not have a piece of star fabric large enough... the largest I had was only 4-1/2". 

So I went with my second option... a 5-1/2" scrappy log cabin block.  This one took about 10 minutes. 😁




As I made this block I thought of the HUGE Bi-Centennial celebration that took place across the US in 1976... I was 11 years old and everything  was red/white/blue and everyone was patriotic.  

In my childhood town they had a fire hydrant painting contest, a beard growing contest for the men, and the big celebration at Bent's Fort that had recently completed the rebuilding of the fort.  There was a wagon train that traveled through town to the fort and one of my besties got to ride her horse in the event.  What a lucky girl!

Oh, the times have changed.  I wonder what things will be like in seven years when the 250th birthday of the United States of America rolls around.  I don't want to get into the political realm of things, but I wonder... 


Will people be "proud to be an American"?

I know I will be!  

I think I will go make an apple pie...

Melva
Melva Loves Scraps - Home of the Quilters Through The Generations series

Linking with:

BOMs Away at What A Hoot Quilts
Colour & Inspiration at Clever Chameleon Quilting
Mid-week Makers at Quilt Fabrication
Let's Bee Social at Sew Fresh Quilts
Wednesday Wait Loss at The Inquiring Quilter
Magic Crafts at Ulrikes Smaating (1st Wed of month)
Needle & Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
Off The Wall Friday with Nina Marie
Finished or Not Friday at Busy Hands Quilts

Brag About Your Beauties at From Bolt to Beauty

7 comments:

  1. Great blocks - all of them! I had my older child by the bicentennial, and was living in New Jersey. The Freedom Train came through a town near us, and we went to see all the historical documents and museum pieces. It was a wonderful experience. Your celebration sounds great, too.

    I am still proud to be an American. We are still an emblem of freedom of choice to the world, and we still accept refugees who want to legally come here. One of my good friends is a family here as political refugees from Venezuela. They love this country, they are an asset to us. They are exactly the kind of people we need, and I wish more of the people who want to come would come legally, and not be those trying to destroy us.

    The fact that we can have dissent without filling the prisons with dissenters is one of the most wonderful things about our republic. I wish people would be more polite, but I know that this is not the first time in our history that rhetoric has grown ugly, and it probably won't be the last. We are not as mature as we would like to be. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blocks as well as the stripy blocks. I'll keep out of the politics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never made a patriotic quilt. Maybe I can add that to the 2020 to-do list! My favorite part of these blocks is the apple pie fabric ... It's a little unexpected and super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blocks, the second one is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great flag creation, and I'll be waving mine in 7 years!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your blocks! That scrappy flag is cute. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just finished that block the other day...I'm so behind. I love your fabric choices! (I'm probably overwhelming your inbox with my comments. Sorry, not sorry! :O)

    ReplyDelete