Monday, February 4, 2019

The Adventure Quilt - A Road Trip Quilt Along

In addition to the 2019 Color Challenge I am participating in a quilt along where Kate Colleran and Tammy will share one block a week until April 17.  I was hesitant in joining in on this because there are just some weeks that I don't have much time in my sewing room and worried that I might fall behind.  But the theme of the quilt called to me, screamed to me actually, and it is entirely pieced...

What is not to love about this quilt???  There are mountains.  There are trees, there are oceans and rivers.  There are stars and the sun.  



While I became more comfortable with the applique technique in that was required in many of the blocks in the It's A "Wild" Life quilt along last year, it just isn't one of my favorite techniques.  No worries Joan, Amy, Carla and Carol... I will still (probably) be be joining you for the fun with the Time for All Seasons BOM.






The first blocks of this Adventure quilt were log cabins.  One of my absolute favorite go-to blocks!  The log cabins represent home, because all trips begin at home...  In my case the trip can begin a few days (even several days) before we actually pull out of the driveway.  


There is plenty to plan... not just the destination, but the route and stops along the way.  Those are the obvious ones... but what about packing clothes?  And road trip snacks and meals?

Like I said, the planning starts long before leaving the driveway!  Laundry is done and meals prepped (especially if camping!)... and don't forget the snacks for along the way!  We love to have plenty of fruits and veggies... The little cutie oranges and apples are like staples, as well as grapes and carrots; crackers and cheese... and... GORP, also known as Good Ol' Raisins and Peanuts... or commonly referred to as trail mix.  You can make up your own variety based on your favorites.




I like to include the Enjoy Life chocolate chunks with dried cranberries, golden raisins, shelled pistachios and chex rice cereal.  All items that fall well within my dietary restrictions and yet, tasty enough for Dave to enjoy.  And it always, always, always travels in our trusty Elmo tin!  

You can include mixed nuts, m&m's, cheerios, or whatever floats your boat.

(pardon the lack of class with the beer and wine in paper cups, but it was all the hotel had...)

So, there you have it... Home - the starting point of all road trips.

I hope that you will follow along with me as this adventure quilt comes together.  Next week will be mile marker...

What is your favorite road-trip snack?  

Leave a comment to let me know... I love to hear from my readers.


Quilt Happy!

Melva
Melva Loves Scraps - Home of the Quilters Through The Generations series

2 comments:

  1. Peanut M&Ms are one of my favorite travel snacks, along with trail mix and granola bars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'd missed this one. Would you believe I never knew what GORP stood for? LOL I always have it stocked for road trips, too. This time I have one with nuts and berries and another one that also includes M&Ms. I like your cute log cabins!

    ReplyDelete