Saturday, February 16, 2019

The Adventure Quilt - Blooms


Block three of the Adventure Quilt-Along - Road Trip Quilt, hosted by Kate & Tammy is all about blooms.  As Kate said...


"These Blooms blocks represent the sun that (hopefully) shines down on your journey and the flowers and plants you see as you travel on your Road Trip."

That is precisely what came to my mind when I saw the patterns!  

The sun and flowers.  




The Roadside Bloom made me think of the Indian Blanket flowers that grow along highways in New Mexico.  After dropping off our daughter to Girl Scout camp (about 15 years ago!) near Angel Fire, NM I made my husband stop along the road to "rescue" a few of the plants...  After all, the state may have come along at any moment to mow along the side of the road!







The tropical bloom block and the sun block >>> reminded me of a spring break trip to Tucson to visit my grandparents.  The whole family went - my parents, brother and my boyfriend (who went on to become my husband), who had never been to Arizona.

It was NOT the typical college spring break, but we had a great time!

Our college's baseball team was scheduled to scrimmage against the University of Arizona and we were able to be there to root them on.  We were ready to soak up some warmth and sunshine!

We visited Reid Park Zoo, Old Tucson, Saguaro National Park...  We must have worn them out!  With outings planned every day!  





Grandma and Grandpa had mentioned that the poppies were supposed to be in full bloom at Picacho Peak State Park.  We packed a lunch for everyone and headed out.  When we arrived we were in wonder of where the poppies were...


After wandering around on a few trails I remember saying... do you think these little tiny flowers we have been walking on are the poppies???




Turns out... yes, indeed, there they were!


We were all thinking poppies... big. red.  You know... Poppies!



And so fitting for the small poppies we saw at Picacho Peak State Park, this block is only 6", rather than 12 inches like the sun and roadside bloom blocks.



You still have time to grab the pattern for free - through Tuesday, February 18th (I think...)!


Did you ever take a spring break trip?  

Leave a comment telling me where you went and what you did... I love to hear from my readers. 

Quilt Happy!

Melva
Melva Loves Scraps - Home of the Quilters Through The Generations series

Linking with:

BOMs Away at What A Hoot Quilts
Finished or Not Friday at Busy Hands Quilts
TGIFF with Lisa at Port Hope
Can I get A Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
UFO Busting at Tish's Adventures in Wonderland







1 comment:

  1. What fun memories you are sharing through these BOM blocks. And wow, they sure are coming out pretty.

    ReplyDelete