Thursday, July 19, 2018

Baby Chevron

I love getting custom orders for quilts, in general.  But it is even more meaningful when I get a custom order from a friend.  This was the case when a college friend contacted me inquiring if I could make a quilt for his soon to arrive grandson.

It has been a tradition for him and his wife to have a special quilt made for each of their grandchildren.  The last one they had made they were not happy with so they asked me if I might be interested.

Well.... silly question!  Of course I am interested!  And honored that I was asked.

He let me know of his daughter-in-law's decor plan for the room...


Very geometric and very modern.





I had to get beyond the "baby" baby idea of cute and fun, maybe even silly... so I pulled out one of my favorite quilts and sent a photo..

I proposed one done in black, white and grays.  The idea was accepted and I moved forward.

Little Kai is expected to arrive near the end of August so I really needed to get moving.



Using 7 inch blocks and making HST (half-square triangles) trimmed to 6-1/2 inch blocks I got the top done in a day.  I love quick projects!

The next question was to put the name on it or not??? 


With the name was the winner!

I used the same grey batik for the backing and black binding.  I did echo quilting following chevrons with grey thread (on the black) and variegated black and white thread in the grey and white chevrons.  Button hole stitching was used to outline the letters.  Finished size was 42" x 48".

Grandma and Grandpa will soon have the finished quilt in hand and it won't be long before they will have baby Kai in their arms as well. 

While I like the look of the quilt and I understand that babies respond better with black and white rather than bright colors... I prefer the bright, playful and fun colors.  Even pastels would be good.  

But then again, I am probably old fashioned.  😕

What are your preferences for a baby quilt?

I'd love to hear from you!  Leave a comment below. 

Quilt happy!

Melva
Melva Loves Scraps - Home of the Quilters Through The Generations series

Linking with:
Let's Make Baby Quilts at Michelle's Romantic Tangle
Needle and Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
Mid-week makers at Quilt Fabrication
Linky Tuesday at Freemotion by the River

12 comments:

  1. Really cool quilt. I'm sure the baby and his parents will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melva, that is a lovely baby quilt. I tend to like my baby quilts easy to make and cute. I can't help it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the baby quilt looks stunning and I'm sure it will be well loved and used. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute quilt Melva. I like my baby quilts to be bright and cheerful. Or soft and cuddly with baby designs on them. I like for them to be cute and lovable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the quilt and it's perfect for the room. I think a baby will like the high contrast and the parents will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Call me old-fashioned but I like cute and pastel for a new baby. For toddlers, I go with bright and bold. But your quilt is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Melva! This baby quilt is just perfect for Kai's theme. I am definitely old-fashioned as I enjoy making baby quilts in bold colors, like the primary ones. Kai doesn't really have a voice, though, so who knows what he may want! I am sure mom and baby will feel all the love you stitched into this lovely quilt! Happy Friday! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm old-fashioned about colors for baby quilts, too. I would not have put the name on the quilt. While I had a boy and a girl anme picked out when I had my first child, we used the boy name. A little over two years later, we were blessed with a baby girl (the doctors didn't think we'd ever have another child) and we used the original girl name we had picked and we really didn't have a boys name decision. Some people look at a baby and are sure and then decide to change the name. I know the name is on the wall, but ... You did a absolute fabulous job on the quilt and especially when it is not your first choice. I'm having trouble trying to decided on a design for a graduation quilt for my step granddaughter. She'll graduate from high school next May and wants a two color quilt. She's a budding artist and wants to be an art therapist. I've only seen her once and she doesn't come when the rest of the family comes to visit. So, I have no idea of her likes and dislikes. I'm about to decide on something that I will just be proud to have made. Good job and thanks for sharing not only the quilt but also the decision process.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute quilt for the baby's room. It does seem like it is the trend to have minimal patterns and colors for babies. I tend to lean toward standard pastels or brights.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful quilt but like you I go for the bright colors!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was fascinated to learn about babies and black and white when my kids were born. And then they both really responded to people wearing red most noticeably from only a few days old instead. Go figure. I still love silly for kids quilts, but the good thing about a b&w decor is it's easy to add colour later. And black white and a colour looks stunning too. Great job on your commission. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love colorful, fun baby quilts that are either bright or pastels. Your quilt came out really pretty and works with their decor!

    ReplyDelete