Thursday, July 24, 2014

Picking Up the Pieces

The other night I watched Bonnie Hunter (http://quiltville.blogspot.com/) on her QuiltCam and got inspired!  She was using up odds and ends of all sizes (she refers to them as crumbs, chunks and strings) and shapes to string piece blocks.

I went to bed thinking I needed to tackle my accumulation of scraps that hadn't been touched for years.  You will notice that the plastic bin is overflowing!


I actually thought that the pieces in there were just about too tiny to do anything with other than applique.  I had a dream about making log cabin blocks with a free-form style of not worrying about the strips being perfectly straight. 

The only thing I did start out with was 2-1/2" yellow squares for the centers.


I sewed for a few hours...


... and I quickly had 9 blocks that were 12-1/2" square with some wonkiness to them because they were all different widths and some were not straight.  The day was only half done so I cut some more center squares and continued on with my sewing.  In just about 10 hours I had 18  "wonky log cabin" blocks.


All I need to do now is add some borders and it will be a lovely twin sized quilt that will be available for purchase at the Farmer's Market on Labor Day weekend.

As I was sewing I couldn't help but think of the parallel of these pieces of fabric to the past year of our lives.  A little wonky, not perfectly straight, but still very much useable and has become something quite beautiful!

Oh, and the plastic bin of scraps?  After 18 blocks what was left all fit into the bin. 

It is tucked safely away until I finish my next quilting project and the quilt for our grand daughter that is due to arrive in about two weeks. 

Happy Quilting!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment