Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Road Trip!

We recently made a quick trip to Wichita Falls, Texas...  That meant 7-1/2 hours in the car (each way).

For those of you that know me, that means that I had to have some sort of hand work project to pass the time.  This time I had a table runner that I hand quilted.

I have never done much hand quilting, in fact, now that I think about it, all of the hand sewing I have done in the way of quilts has been hand piecing and binding.  It really isn't much different... I think the "standard" is 12 stitches per inch.  I wasn't really counting or keeping track, but now that it is done - I ended up with 10 stitches per inch.  Not bad for my first try.

I do have a desire to do more, but it will be a whole cloth quilt - crib size.  No bigger, because that would be sheer craziness and torture to my fingers!  The actual amount of time quilting this table runner ended up being 8 hours.


 
 
With all of the hand sewing I have been doing of late (the wedding dress hem, the lace embellishment and this table runner) my fingers are a developing some callouses but they have been really dry.  Almost to the point of cracking.  Then I started using Burt's Bees beeswax lip balm on them.  What a difference that made.  They still are a bit sore, but soooooooooooo much softer.
 
Also to pass the time, we listened to "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe" of the Chronicles of Narnia.  It was interesting.  We have both read the books before and the narration was easy to listen to, but we didn't have to listen so intently that we were worried that we might miss something.
 
When we started the trip we had snow on the ground...
 
 
 
And as we returned we some isolated showers in New Mexico...
 
 
 
And then more snow as we came down over Raton Pass.  Welcome home!
 
So... what do you do to pass time on a road trip?

 


http://www.quilterblogs.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment