Wednesday, July 25, 2018

2018 Color Challenge - Yellow Green




This month's challenge block color is a funky one... Yellow Green.

I don't have a lot of this color in my stash, but I managed to find just enough for this block.  The lightest color didn't photograph very well, but it really is a (very pretty, actually) mottled yellow green fabric.

The way my mind works... follow along :)


It makes me want a piece of key lime pie!  Sadly, it is not allowed due to my dietary restrictions. So. Sad...

It also makes me want a margarita!  

How about lemon-lime soda?  Like 7-Up... which brings to mind the game we used to play in grade school to pass some time... Thumbs up, seven up.  I couldn't recall all of the details of the game, so I had to look it up on-line...  

All but seven students put their heads down on their desk, with their thumbs up (👍).  The remaining seven people stand in front.  Each of the seven quietly move about the classroom and push a thumb down... when all have returned to the front of the class, those that had their thumbs pushed down are supposed to guess who of the seven put their thumb down.  And there is to be no cheating by peeking down and watching for the shoes that pass by you.

If you guess correctly you trade places and play again...


Am I the only one who remembers this game???




There really is no "purpose" to the game other than the teacher could have a few quiet moments before the next bell or activity. 

There was always somebody who would "tap" their best friend... or the boy that had a secret crush on a girl and be disappointed that she didn't guess him... 

You know... all that childhood stuff we go through as we try to figure out life and that we are shaped by.

<<< Me...  second grade



Did you play this game or some version of it?  I'd love to hear from you :)  Leave a comment below...

Sew Happy!

Melva




Linking with:
Color Challenge at Patterns By Jen
BOMS away Monday at What a Hoot Quilts
Needle and Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
Let's Bee Social at Sew Fresh Quilts
Wait Loss Wednesday at The Inquiring Quilter
Color Inspiration at Clever Chameleon


9 comments:

  1. Oh boy! Yes, I remember that game! I will say I'm glad you described it because I would have had to look it up too. It triggered all sorts of memories...thanks!

    The block is beautiful by the way. Is there a name for it?
    Cheers
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great block, Melva. Yes, I totally remember the game. Love your 2nd grade photo!!! The key-lime pie-ness of your block is super. I would have to skip the pie as well. See you in the August Color Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dawn. :) I do wish I could have a taste of the key lime pie!

      Delete
  3. What a pretty block - I like the colors. I have never heard of the game and that's nothing new. I grew up in a very rural area and it took a long time for games to get to our area. I had a teacher in 6th grade that would give us time to read assignments before discussion and he would sleep. It was so bad that 6th graders would drop books on the floor to wake him. Thanks for sharing your adorable picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I played it some, but my students loved it, for no reason I could ever discover. LOL We played it whenever there were minutes before the bell or waiting for the art teacher to arrive or something along those lines. Love your block!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Melva! Yes, the last time I played 7 Up was actually only a couple years ago!! I was team-teaching Sunday school to 5th grade boys with my husband, and my husband always let them play 7 Up at the end of class to help the boys from different schools get to know one another's names. They loved it. :-) Your block is lovely, and I enjoyed all the color associations... I know too well about diets ruining key lime pie and margaritas. Recently discovered that margarita mix is mostly corn syrup so I tried one of the "alternate" low calorie brands and it tasted like a glass of water with a lime in it. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't remember that game, but it sounds like fun! Looks like this monthly color thing has really challenged you. Still, you created a lovely block. Thanks for sharing it on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We played a similar game, although we didn't called it 7 Up..... probably because there were too few kids in our rural class to have seven people pushing thumbs down. I had forgotten about this game.... maybe I will try it with our Joey Scouts. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope that your scouts enjoy the game. Blessings, Melva

    ReplyDelete