Thoughts on Log Cabin Love…
I started the project thinking it would only be a throw size in a furrow layout using blues and browns. I think I had about 20 blocks done and on the design wall when I changed the layout… and the size!
I had recalled a conversation with my husband about the quilt on our bed and he asked “when are you going to make a new quilt for us?” Now, how can you turn down such an opportunity?!? So I dug through some pictures and patterns of a quilt I had made a few years ago.
So I started making more blocks… a lot more blocks! I needed 108 in total. So I dug through more scrap bins…
And I sewed and sewed and sewed! I started to worry that I would not have enough brown scraps and a few of the other generous ladies from the Addicted To Scraps group offered to send some of theirs. As it turned out, I was able to get all 108 blocks completed.
Finally, I had enough blocks, got them on the design wall and started assembling the rows.
I soon had the top ready for quilting. A few years ago I had picked up a package of king-sized 100% wool batting for about $10 from an on-line “swap shop”. I decided that I would use it in this quilt and found it wonderful to work with! I spray basted the quilt.
My experience with spray basting in the past is that the needle gets gummed up and causes tension problems. However, this time, I had no such problem. I am not sure if it is because of the wool batting or because I let the quilt sandwich sit for a day before starting the quilting.
I was quite excited about the finished quilt. It was too large to photograph on my design wall so outside we went. I snapped a picture and then I saw it!
Two mis-placed blocks! Ack!!!! I tossed it aside in disappointment. But knew it had to be fixed.
I pulled out the quilting and un-sewed the two blocks, rotated them and then hand stitched them back into place.
All that was left was to replace the quilting in the proper places.