Here's a little quilt "gallery" of the quilts I have made by Lala and the little bit of information I have on them.
Ocean Waves made by and quilted by Lala Teegarden.
If I were to guess on when it was made... Late 30s or early 40s. It has a children's print featuring clowns and other circus items on the back.
It is in good condition. The fabrics have held up well for the age.
This is a simple scrappy patchwork quilt made with 4" squares of fabric... mostly leftover from Lala's sewing pajamas for the family.
When my Mom learned to sew from her these are the type of quilts she helped with.
The quilt comforter is tied. Most of the fabric on the front is in decent condition, except for the edges. The backing is in excellent condition in comparison to the patchwork.
The batting has deteriorated badly and has large clumps in the corners and a few other spots where it has collected.
I have considered removing the ties and the damaged edges and "restoring" it to a better condition but in a smaller size. Learn more about this quilt here.
This acorn quilt was made in the 1940s. The detail, the applique and the quilting is exquisite! Other than a few places on the edges where the binding is worn through, it is in good condition.
This Churn Dash quilt was made in the late 1940s. The top and bottom of the quilt were worn thin and someone added silky blanket binding to keep it from falling apart further.
The wide sashing strips seem a little out of place to me but was a place to showcase the quilting beautifully. The cotton batting is compressed and flat with little body left to it.
This purple Floral Wreath quilt was made by Lala in the 1950s and quilted by a group of quilters in La Junta, CO in the 1980s.
The batting is a high-loft poly batting.
It is in good condition.
And finally, this pink Hearts & Flowers quilt was pieced by Lala's daughter-in-law, Tressie, and quilted by Lala in the 1940s.
Tressie noted on the back of a photo that stated, "the Christian Church of Trinidad had a quilting club that met at the Teegarden home every Tuesday to quilt."
This quilt is worn thin and has tears in a few spots. Several hearts are worn through as well.
I had another quilt fall into my hands so similar to this quilt... learn about it and see it here.
Let me know if you have a favorite or would like additional information on any of these quilts... I'd love to hear from you!
Don't forget to join the Sew & Tell party! Be sure to say hello to a few friends. 😘 I'll check in from time to time to make certain that everyone is playing together nicely. Have fun!
Keep Piecing,
Melva












Thank you so much for sharing these wonderful quilts. I am a huge fan of vintage quilts and I love them all. The blue churn dash is maybe my favorite—if I had to pick a favorite! The wide blue sashing is something I am used to seeing in some of my family quilts.
ReplyDeleteWhat a treasure to read your post today! I LOVED seeing Lala's quilts! The acorn quilt was the one that made me scroll in tight; but, all are wonderful. What a collection you have!
ReplyDelete