Thursday, June 27, 2024

Pieces of My Life ~ Diamond Solitaire & Steps to the Altar


With the last block of Pieces of My Life, I shared the story of Dave and I meeting and falling in love with each other and within a few months' time, I had a promise ring from him. It is a small tiny solitaire that he borrowed money from one of his sisters in order to purchase.  It means the world to me.  


A year later, he gave me an engagement ring.  The diamond wasn't much bigger, but it had setting that made it appear larger.  When we were ready to purchase wedding rings, I bought him a plain band and we repurposed that promise ring to become my wedding ring. Both the promise ring and the engagement ring had a matching "twist" to them so that they nested together nicely.


We renewed our wedding vows on our 13th anniversary and at that time Dave had our local jeweler (and friend) replace the small diamond solitaire (block #11) in the "engagement" ring with a much larger stone.  At that same time, I had the jeweler join the two rings together... permanently stuck together... like Dave & I. ;)


After our "formal" engagement we started taking the necessary Steps to the Altar (block #12) by choosing our wedding date - August 10.  We discussed how large of a wedding party we wanted, how large our guest list should be... and the all-important detail of what our wedding colors would be.

Pink and Blue were very popular at the time.  I loved pink and Dave suggested that we pair a deep rust with it.  The reaction we had from others when we told them was one of shock.  LOL!  But honestly, it worked!
Our wedding was done on a very small budget, but it was all either of us could have hoped for.  I'll share more details with the next few blocks.  

For now, jump over to my payhip store to grab the patterns.  I hope that you enjoy making these blocks and that my stories spur on some of your own memories.  

But before you go, tell me... if you married,

Did you fall into the trend of popular colors?
Or did you, like me, bypass them and go with less popular colors?

If you have not been married... what would you do?

Keep Piecing,

Melva

Linking with:

m
Please note: 
This linky party is open for those participating in my sew along event.  
If you share a link that is not related it will be deleted. 


8 comments:

  1. Your diamond and colors are similar to mine. I went with deep pink - the color that was available in the least expensive and most plentiful bridesmaids dresses, but I absolutely loved it. I'll share more of my story with my blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. not a follower of trends. the color of the time was "dusty rose". i love iris, so dutch iris it was- purple blue. and being practical, we used potted plants for table centers.. violets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so fun to read your posts about these important life events! Your rings are beautiful, and so were your flowers. I recall wanting everything very simple, so the dresses and flowers were not fancy. My mom actually sewed my dress and my sisters' for our wedding. Looking forward to making these interesting blocks, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted my bridesmaids all in a sky blue. My maid of honor came from out of town and had bought the wrong color of blue which really didn't match. Oh well, we lived with it! My engagement ring was my hubby's grandmother's. We bought a guard for it but I, too, eventually had them put together permanently. It will go to my grandson some day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful quilt block, Melva. Thank you so much for sharing it. Your ring is gorgeous. Peach was the "in color" when I got married and yes, I had peach roses. I still love the color peach. Have a blessed day and Happy quilting. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I got married 31 years ago, we had a very small wedding. I made my own wedding dress with a little help from a co-worker. Only had one bridesmaid who surprised me by making her own dress. My color was my favorite color, purple, along with my white dress. My husband rented a black tux with a purple cumberbund. Our flowers were purple and white and our heart shaped cake was white with purple roses. My engagement ring is a small diamond shaped stone paired with a simple gold band.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a special love story along with the rings. How love grows over time! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet stories of your rings. It is fun to remember how young and poor we all used to be. It helps us appreciate how things have changed.

    ReplyDelete