Sunday, March 19, 2023

Sew & Tell ~ Hiding Imperfections



 This week I share two finishes... two more from the collection of eight quilts from a customer.

The first is a good size to be a table runner.  I was worried about quilting this one because it was really, I mean REALLY, wonky... all over.  The fabric the quilter used was slick and shiny, and the rows were uneven and all over the place.  


I was pleasantly surprised as I prepped the quilt sandwich with the Heirloom fusible batting that it fused much better than I had expected.  I had already decided in my mind that I would need to use spray adhesive for the sandwiching step.  I had discovered on other quilts that poly-blend fabrics don't fuse very well.  I'm not sure what the difference was this time, but I was not complaining.


The second finish was a queen-sized quilt that had borders that were way too long and eased in during the sewing process.  I made a date with my good friend, Jaqueline, and proceeded to remove stitching and adjust the size of the borders that were actually needed so they would lay flat.  You can see the excess fabric in this photo...


Once the excess was taken care of, the center of the quilt got stitch-in-the-ditch quilting of squares, on point.  The inner border has vines and leaves, and the outer borders have a serpentine chain design.  
The final border has twisted ribbons.

The design is seen easily on the back of the quilt...


There are still a few imperfections that are hidden overlooked easily because of the shrinkage of the 80% cotton batting.  Just one of the reasons I love using it.

What is your batting of choice?  And why? 

I'd love to hear from you... leave a comment.

It's your turn now!  Link up with Sew & Tell.  Remember to link back here on your story and invite your friends.  The more the merrier! 

Keep Piecing,

Melva



Linking with:

Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
Monday Musings at Songbird Designs
This & That at Days Filled with Joy
Craftastic Monday at Sew Can Do
To Do Tuesday at Quilt Schmilt
Mid-week Makers at Quilt Fabrication
Wednesday Wait Loss at The Inquiring Quilter
Put Your Foot Down at For the Love of Geese 
Needle & Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
Free-Motion Mavericks at Quilting & Learning

m

11 comments:

  1. It's annoying to have to remove wavy borders but I'm always glad I do it. Wool batting is my favorite for hand quilting because it stitches so nicely and has enough loft to add dimension. I usually use polyester batting for machine quilted quilts simply because they cost less. They come in several lofts. The low loft also hand quilts nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are sweet to work so hard on these pieces. I love quilters dream cotton but for lots of things now I use hobbs 80/20 with a little more loft and a little less out of pocket!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You worked some magic on these quilts, bless your heart! I use Hobbs 80/20 almost exclusively.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Melva, you are sure learning a lot as you tackle those quilt. It's great that you're giving them a life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've long been a Warm & Natural (or White) but I just got a superb deal on Hobbs 80/20 so I've ordered two rolls of reg (queen), and one of black! And I'm already pretty stocked so this should be interesting! LOL. I have to go pick them up in a few weeks so maybe I can chew away at my current rolls to get at least a little more room!?
    Working with too-big/somewhat-wonky borders is tricky (and not my fave!) but it is great when a batting can help out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melva your finished quilts are pretty with the adjustments and alterations you made. I do like using an 80/20 batting for just that reason. Thank you for linking with To Do Tuesday. Hope you are having a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love what you did with these quilts Melva. Great job on disguising or redoing the imperfections. I love using 80/20 batting for exactly the same reasons. Thank you for hosting your Sew and Tell link party and for linking with To Do Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing job you did on the second quilt to get it to lie flat. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/03/22/wednesday-wait-loss-320

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favorite battings are any made by Quilters Dream. They are always very consistent and a "dream" to work with. I also stock Hobbs 80/20.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your runner is so pretty. I recently started using Quilter's Dream, after seeing Kathleen's posts about it. I really like it because it is so much softer than what I used to use, which was the big cheap roll I got online from Joann's. I would like to try Hobbs 80/20 after my Quilter's Dream is all gone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did an amazing job getting those borders to lie flat. It does often take some unsewing to make it work, unfortunately! The table runner is great too. I have three batts I use, Quilter's Dream, Hobbs, and occasionally Warm and Natural. QD is my favorite! Thanks for liking up with Monday Musings. Sorry I didn't make it over to link up with you this week. I've been on the go too much!!

    ReplyDelete