Thursday, December 29, 2022

2023 Planning Party

 

It is the time of year that many of us take time to reflect on the previous 12 months, assess, and then make plans for the coming year.

You can catch my review at Best of 2022... since the past several months have been physically challenging for me I long to simply "dip my toes in the waters" and wade in slowly to 2023 rather than doing a polar plunge.  So some first quarter goals are as follows...

We have a January business trip planned as well as making tentative plans for a camping trip in late February/early March. We have reserved the first two Harry Potter books and I am making a few quilty plans as well to be able to pass the time on the road.  I have two EPP Postcard blocks ready to go.  These two blocks will wrap-up the documentation our camping adventures for 2022...


My daughter sent me a fun project idea ~ I Found a Quilted Heart ~ ❤... and this is a perfect project to occupy my hands as we road-trip! 

Here's the story of how it all got started...

The most random thing happened while vacationing in Nevada.   Three sisters and our husbands took a day trip to Valley of Fire State Park.  After an afternoon of hiking, exploring, and soaking in the beauty, it was time to check in for our return flight.  We drove to Rainbow Vista, as it was the only location in the park with cell phone service.   While the three sisters look for just the right place to get that coveted cell service, the husbands searched a cave off in the distance.   Following a deserted trail around the back side of the cave, the most incredible gift was found: a little quilted heart with a tag reading, “I need a home.”

Well, it certainly found a perfect home! We may never know who placed that quilted heart in the desert of Nevada, but we are thankful for it.  This beautiful little heart started a whole new purpose for us; blessing others with the same simple act of kindness.

Have you heard of I Found A Quilted Heart?  
I'd like to hear from you if you have... Have you found a quilted heart?  Did you report the quilted heart?  Have you ever made hearts like this? 


I have enjoyed making smaller, improv mug rugs or postcards over the past few years.  Recently, I was inspired by something I saw on Instagram (Sorry, I don't remember who to credit) but this is one of the first projects I'll be making when I decide it is time to return to the studio.


I have been fiddling around in there with various things... I gave some special attention to the wood flooring the other day and I have it looking shiny and clean again. I cleared the various piles of project remnants that lingered after finished the Dresden Quilt and have my retreat quilt in que for finishing.  I also pulled out an extra jellyroll that I had purchased as an option for the retreat quilt as well as a pattern book that I was gifted a few years ago from one of my daughters.

One of my Christmas gifts this year was a laser light that will attach to my sewing machines.  I am excited to get it set up so that I can try it out.  For years I have had a piece of tape on my sewing table making a center line as well as the 1/4" seam, but this will offer a longer line for larger HST units.  It isn't complicated to attach... just some sticky velcro... but I need to decide on the perfect position on the machine so that it isn't in the way and won't easily be bumped and knocked out of position.

Have you ever used such a tool?  
What are your thoughts?  
I'd love to have some feedback or suggestions.

A little longer range... I'll be working on getting a pattern book for the Pieces of the Trail Quilt printed.  The owner of the quilt shop in Raton, New Mexico is interested in doing another block of the month event.  So, I really need to get my ducks in a row and get a pattern book ready to sell.  I'll be using the same printing company I used for my Pieces From the Past book ~ Blurb.com.  I had considered making or creating a calendar with the patterns, but simply haven't found a good source or program to design something like that without making a big investment and learning how to use a new program... but to be honest... I haven't spent a great deal of time researching it either.  Maybe Snapfish or Shutterfly has something that would work...

I have been considering hosting another sew along for 2023... I am definitely interested but need to take some time off to be able to plan and design with fewer deadlines and pressure than what I put on myself this year.  If nothing else, I have learned from the lesson of caring for my health, which I had apparently taken advantage of this past fall. Be sure to watch for some details to come in the spring!

Thanks for following my thoughts, plans and dreams... I hope that you will continue to be one of my faithful readers! 😘

Keep Piecing,

Melva

Linking with:

Planning Party at Quilting Jetgirl
Put Your Foot Down at True Blue Quilts 
Needle & Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
Free-Motion Mavericks at Quilting & Learning
Thankful Thursday at Brian's Home
Little Things Thursday at Good Random Fun
Can I Get A Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Off The Wall Friday with Nina Marie
Brag About Your Beauties at From Bolt to Beauty
Peacock Party at Wendy’s Quilts and More
Friday Foto Fun at Powered by Quilting
Finished or Not Friday at Alycia Quilts
Scrap Happy Saturday at Super Scrappy
Patchwork & Quilts at The Quilting Patch
Oh Scrap! at Quilting is More Fun Than Housework
Sunday Stash at QuiltPaintCreate



11 comments:

  1. I loved hearing about finding the quilted heart in the Valley of Fire. I used to live in Las Vegas. That’s such a pretty area. But I would have never guessed that someone would stash a quilted heart there! Now you’ve got me thinking…. Here’s to a terrific 2023.

    Michelle
    https://mybijoulifeonline.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may want to check out lulu.com for a calendar option. It might not be quite what you are looking for, but it's an easy interface to use. I hope that you get all of the rest and rejuvenation you need and that you find a lot of joy in the sewing room when the time is right to return.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you have lots of nice things in the works and I hope you have a fabulous 2023. Thanks for joining our Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sad thing about getting older is I can't be sure of whether I heard about the Quilt Heart program. I am aware of similar gifts for strangers left to be found. Always fun to spy as I walk the neighborhood. What a treat to find heart and a quilted heart at that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen the quilted heart project on Instagram but I've never seen one in person or done it. Sounds like a great road trip project! Best quilted wishes for 2023, Melva!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not seen the quilted heart projects but will keep my eye out now. Looking forward to seeing what the new year has in store for you Melva. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have seen the quilted heart project, but never found one. It would be a great road trip project, for finishing up and leaving behind. I, too, am getting a retreat list ready. I tried a laser for awhile and liked it....but no room on my better machine. They should come with it! Happy New Year and good luck with your quilty list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been out about 18 months, but getting back on board now. It sounds like you have some good plans coming.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Melva, it sounds like you have some lovely plans to look forward to. It's always hard to balance our love of quilting with the need to care for ourselves. I'm still working on that too! Happy New Year and thanks for linking up to Free Motion Mavericks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've read about the Quilted Heart but have never found one or made one. I've come to love traveling hand work. Wishing you better health and balance and safe travels in this New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year Melva, I wish you all the best, and a good health. The laser looks like a great gift, I can't wait to read what you think about it.
    Thank you for sharing, and linking up!

    ReplyDelete