Saturday, March 21, 2020

Therapy Needed

This week has been... well, challenging.  In many ways life for these two self-employed individuals didn't change at all!

While we watched others worry, and concern and panic escalate we sat here being reassured with our faith in our God who is bigger than all that is occurring in our country and around the world.

We have continued our news fast that began before our Texas Trip with the exception of a few Presidential announcements and the local health department updates via social media.  We are continue to try to reassure our daughters when they call with concerns... like "What am I going to do with the kids not being in school (now through 4/17) and both of us considered essential personnel?"  Umm.... "You're 80 miles away... they can come here for a few days."  {{She has it figured out, btw...  local in-law family to the rescue!}} 

Like I said... life was pretty normal/unchanged until we tried to go to the grocery store... Oh, and the whole TP thing is pretty crazy and ridiculous.  

We have tried our very best... and then we got the news from our Pastor about worship.  Never did I think that there would be a day that we American's would be told we cannot go to church.  Thankfully, with the help of modern technology, we have many options for worship on-line.

Still so sad... 


So I did what most quilters have done... sought refuge in our sewing  rooms/spaces or studios.  However, with the Pieces From The Past Sew Along in process I haven't had much time for creating and playing.  And I miss quilting... I have been busily working on pattern writing, photographing the blocks, scanning letters and putting thoughts to "paper" as all this unfolds before us.

Just a few weeks ago in the Lost Goslin' post I was feeling grateful that I would likely never know the feelings that come with a need for rationing, the fear of the unknown future or the hope that I might find what we were looking for at the grocery store.

So many times I have sought solace in my studio and found it... I have even turned some tears into joy like when I made my Oasis in the Desert quilt... and the Green Pastures quilt shortly after my Dad died.  


That has not been the case for this week.  I tried, I really, really tried to do something productive...  I managed to turn a simple table runner that I'd had in my inventory for years into a trash bag for our car.  It took about 15 minutes.  That was all, though the idea and how to make it work had kept me awake for well over an hour the night before.

It includes a quart-sized storage bag so that wet or messy items don't soak through.





That went well so I decided that I would pull the orphan blocks from the testing and creating of the patterns for the sew along and do a pieced back for the quilt.  I had a vision in my mind and I proceeded forward... only to discover that after 80% assembled... I hated it.  It wasn't anywhere close to what I had envisioned.  So I will soon have a date with Jack to take it apart.

I found that there was unbleached muslin left in the fabric department at the local Wallyworld on my last journey out in search of TP  (6 rolls in the closet... I think we are safe.  But then again... who knows how long this will go???)  **UPDATE** Our sweet daughter is sending four rolls with her sister when she comes for a visit this week with our Grands. 💗 Ten rolls in storage!  Woohoo!  We're living high on the hog now. ;)

So... Here we sit in uncertain times... and for an undetermined length of time.  I relate to the former POWs that returned to their homeland and uncertainty that they faced in finding their families, their homes, new jobs... a new life in their war-torn land.

I thoroughly enjoy receiving comments regarding the letters to my Grandparents from these men.

One that stands out in particular was from Susan the Farm Quilter.  She stated...

"I so enjoy reading the letters from the German prisoners back to the American farmer who obviously won his respect and friendship. They offer something the history books leave out...the human connection!  You are providing the threads that make history and the people who lived it three-dimensional and real.  They've gone from being cardboard cutouts to 3D real people, with hopes, dreams, fears and hearts that connected during a very trying time for the world."


So, as we wait out this challenging event you could fill some of your time with leaving a legacy for your own children or grandchildren... record the stories of your childhood... of your grandparents... of your favorite holiday traditions and recipes...  I have a free document entitled "Priceless Conversations" over on Payhip - the same place you can find the block patterns for the sew along. (Feel free to grab the patterns while there 😉)

Also, have you seen the requests for face masks??? I think that my orphan blocks need to sit in time out for a bit longer because I believe that have found something productive the get my mojo moving in the right direction.


How are you passing the time in this current state of social distancing?  

Leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!

Sew Happy!

Melva 




Melva Loves Scraps - Home of the Pieces From The Past Sew Along
that features vintage Kansas City Star quilt blocks!

Linking with:

Sunday Stash at QuiltPaintCreate
What I Made Monday at Pretty Piney
Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt
Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
Colour & Inspiration at Clever Chameleon Quilting
Mid-week Makers at Quilt Fabrication
Wednesday Wait Loss at The Inquiring Quilter
Put Your Foot Down at For the Love of Geese
Needle & Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation

Creative Compulsions at Bijou Bead Boutique





12 comments:

  1. I too am enjoying your Pieces of the Past. This week I am trying to keep moving on a quilt for my college-graduating nephew. There will be no ceremony of course, but we will celebrate as best we can! I also am playing around with the various corona-cation activities amongst the bloggers. That part is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rationing here too for basic foodstuffs. Working from home keeps me busy during the week. Trying to sew but finding energy lacking.stay well. Who knew your sew along would be so timely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading your post Melva.
    My husband and I are both elderly and stay at home most of the time anyway so social distancing hasn't bothered us. I enjoy being at home and can always find plenty to do.
    Everything has been so crazy ever since we heard about the virus. People were going in our local Walmart and stripping some of the shelves bare.They finally had to put a restriction on the amount you purchased. I went there Friday and had no problem getting every thing I needed.
    My husband watches the news constantly. I don't because one station will tell you one thing and another will tell you something entirely different. So what do you believe? I put everything in my Father's hands and know He is there for me whatever happens. I told my husband I wasn't afraid. Hopefully we can all get back to "normal" soon. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the sewing along! I need stay at home for two weeks, plan to finish some UFOs but today our state(MN) is calling for donation of face masks, including hand made masks. Will start making some tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Last week was our first week of "self" quarantine! Fortunately DH is a data base analyst and his company sent him home to work until further notice, which it's nice having him home. Schools are out until at least April 6th here, to be evaluated at that point for continuance or not. Fortunately for my daughter, she is a speech therapist in our local school system, so is out trying to keep our grandkids occupied each day, taking walks, online field trips, working on math and reading - she's such a great mama!! I hope she stays sane with those twin 8 yr old boys and an 11 yr old (who thinks she's a teen) girl! LOL Our church meets in a school, so we've been banned until further notice, but our pastors are doing service on Facebook and our website. It was really strange not to be at church at 8 AM for worship team rehearsal prior to service this morning! We are in the process of building a church, so praying this won't slow it down. DH and DD made a grocery store run yesterday to pick up a few things - rationing is here also! Me, I've designed two quilts, completed my project for the QQQ blog hop, cut out a block for FQS sew along, and enrolled in TWO BOMs (paid ones!!) Hopefully this quarantine will end before my SS check runs out! LOL Hopefully the kids can come one day this week. Madelyn has learned to sew somewhat and she enjoys coming and stitching charm squares together. I told her mom we could have a home ec lesson! One of the boys might like to sew, the other one just wants to play video games! LOL Stay healthy and safe, and may your bobbin never run out - as well as your toilet paper!! (Sorry - but we have to keep our sense of humor in all of this!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Life here is going on fairly normally most of the time. Now that stores are limiting the number of pkgs of TP people can buy, I think there will not be a shortage. I've found it in a number of small stores, even when big ones didn't have any ... and I only bought two of four I could have had, because I did already have enough for a week, so now it's two weeks, and that's enough for today. Other things are becoming normal. The president has said there is enough food on reserve and trucks are bringing it in. I think the people who don't normally keep a stock on hand may think differently after this, but that's never been me. My boys aren't picky about what they eat, so we will get by, if it's necessary.

    Two good things have helped me (other than quilting itself); texting with 3 of my friends around the country - we text all day, off and on; sharing a worship service with a family across the street. The Lord has said that where 2 or 3 are gathered in his name, he will be there, too, and I have felt that. We can't go in for a complete service in the chapel, but we can gather a few people, a family or two or three, and have our own scripture study or prayer meeting. They don't even have to be the same brand of religion we are! We are worshiping the same God, and I think we can put aside differences for a while and concentrate on the Savior who holds us all in His hands.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are both retired, live out in the middle of no-where's-ville, and are natural recluses lately. I have plenty of stash if I need to shop for fabrics (my own) and plenty to do if I get motivated. My frustration is staying home when I want to go shopping for perennial flowers to put in our yard! It is finally ready for them, and being OLD I should stay home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Still working here, although I do get more creative time on the weekends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're all feeling disoriented and lack the desire to create. Hang in there, as you're not alone

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, Melva -- I feel the same way. All of the stress and worry really does sap one's "sewjo," and I am just as sad as you are about worship canceled at our church. Even though I can view livestream worship with a pastor and skeleton crew of musicians from my very own church online, it just makes me SAD that I can't be there in person. Doesn't feel like a connection at all; more like a reminder of disconnection and all that we are missing. I think your cheerful little trash bag for the car is a wonderful accomplishment, all things considered!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How the virus is showing that despite all our cultural differences, people are people everywhere.... rationing is here too, esp for toilet paper. Motivation is hard to come by, thanks to the undercurrent of uncertainty causing mental drag. Schools are closing, churches are already closed. Guilds, sports etc are on hold and the media is going crazy. But I hope you find your groove again too, and in the meantime take comfort that lots of people seem to be getting a lot out of your Pieces from the Past. :) Thanks for linking up to the Chameleon's colour and inspiration party.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We've been under lockdown now for over two weeks so I understand what you're going through. Still hard to wrap my mind around it and yes, it zaps the creative energy. Sewing masks is relaxing and easy to do because it's repetitive so the mind can wander. Thanks for linking to Wednesday Wait Loss. We really need that connection in times like these.

    ReplyDelete