Wednesday, September 18, 2019

2019 Color Challenge - September - Lilac



Jen's inspiration for the September Color Challenge block is Lilacs.  Lilacs are frequently considered a harbinger of spring. In the language of flowers, purple lilacs symbolize the first emotions of love, while white lilacs represent youthful innocence.



Lilacs have never been my favorite flower... Reason being is that as a kid I had a severe allergy to them.  And to make it worse, on the grounds of my elementary school there was a large hedgerow of them and my classmates were always picking stems of them and taking them to the teachers to place on their desks.

Ugh!  My eyes would itch, and water and eventually swell.  

But my dislike for lilacs never deterred my like for purple.  Purple was my Dad's favorite color and lately he has been on my mind... a lot!



Last week while camping and enjoying the Carson National Forest near Red River, NM we viewed a purple sunset.  Pictures never seem to fully capture the beauty of the colors very well, but the sky was actually about the color of the fabric from my block shown above!

It was one of those classic 'Lifesaver commercial moments'... and some youthful innocence... 

We quietly watched... and in my heart I whispered "Do it again, Daddy."

Ahhh, Lifesavers... 


What is your favorite Lifesaver flavor?

Of the original five flavors available I loved the pineapple.  Of the wider variety of flavors, I always grabbed a butterscotch.  And don't forget about the Wint-o-green candies that spark in the dark!  Such fun!

Leave a comment to let me know what your flavor of choice is... I'd love to hear from you!

Stay Piece-ful,

Melva
Melva Loves Scraps - Home of the Quilters Through The Generations series


Linking with:

BOMS Away at Katie Mae Quilts
What I Made Monday at Pretty Piney
Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt
Moving It Forward Monday at Em's Scrapbag
Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
Colour & Inspiration at Clever Chameleon Quilting
Mid-week Makers at Quilt Fabrication
WOW at Esther's Quilt Blog
Wednesday Wait Loss at The Inquiring Quilter
Put Your Foot Down at For the Love of Geese
Needle & Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
Creative Compulsions at Bijou Bead Boutique
Can I Get A Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Off The Wall Friday with Nina Marie
Brag About Your Beauties at From Bolt to Beauty
Peacock Party at Wendy’s Quilts and More
Scrap Happy Saturday at Super Scrappy
UFO Busting at Tish’s Wonderland
Color Challenge Link Up at Patterns By Jen




11 comments:

  1. Hi Melva! Yes please, do it again Daddy! I love lilacs, and they remind me so much of my dad. We had a whole row of them across our backyard and I remember many a times helping my dad trim them. And then they would bloom so pretty in the spring - he always told me that's why we trimmed them. To lilacs of the non-allergic kind. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pineapple, always pineapple for me too. Whether it be Lifesavers, Yum Yum suckers, or fruit. Thank you for linking up your perfect block to Put your foot down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on getting a bit of PURPLE sewing done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lilacs are one of those flowers I could bury my nose in forever! Unfortunately, they're hard to grow where I live, and I miss them. As for LifeSavers, I'm a cherry fan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the look and smell of lilacs. I remember as a child that we had a large bush in our yard when we lived in base housing in NJ. So pretty. As for Lifesavers, I'm not a fan of any of the flavors but I do love Fireball Jawbreakers! (wink)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lilacs are one of my favorite flowers. So sorry they caused you misery! Your Bock is sweet though. I love purple too by the way! Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Purple is my favorite color too! I'm sorry though that those lilacs cause you problems. They are one of my favorite flowers. Can't get enough of their fragrance. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was always a fan of pineapple too. Now I really want some life savers :) I wish I could have been there for the purple sunset. You are not kidding about it being hard to capture a sunset and the colors they way we really see them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your block - and your memories. As a kid my favorite lifesavers were the tropical fruit packs. I was really partial to coconut. Thanks for linking up to Creative Compulsions!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hard to love something you are so allergic too, for sure. But pretty. I like peppermint lifesavers, and musk - I am told that the latter is an Australian peculiarity.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, that's hard to be allergic to lilacs, with their profuse aroma! We don't have an air conditioner in this house, so the windows are open all late spring and summer, and when the lilac bush 20 ft from the house is in bloom, you can smell it all through the house. I'm sure you don't have a single bush on your property now!

    ReplyDelete