Sunday, August 25, 2019

2019 Color Challenge - Red Orange & Marigolds




Marigolds provided the inspiration for the August 2019 monthly color challenge block of the month focused on Red-orange offered by Patterns By Jen.

The name Marigold is of English origin and the meaning of Marigold is "mary's gold" and usually symbolize passion and creativity. 

This block really did spur on some passion for me....

The pattern called for just two colors.  




The problem I ran into was that I didn't have a large enough piece of a print fabric to make the block - that wavy stripe-y fabric, topographical looking print in the middle of the 1/4 block...  And I really, REALLY wanted it... I was passionate about wanting to include that fabric!


I had to make a way for it to work... So, a slight pattern adjustment and creativity was required.  I love it, though!  And it wasn't even difficult.  I am glad I used it.

This happens to everyone, right?  Sometimes a mood will hit and you just HAVE to do something or make something...  Something far from the plan that you have.  I know some quilters refer to it as a "DrEAMI" moment - Drop Everything And Make It.

Life this week has been filled with challenges.  Not anything life threatening, but small little obstacles and detours... ALL WEEK!  I could use some fun DrEAMI moments in my studio to sooth my soul and calm my mind... or a quick camping trip to escape the realities of life. 😉





What sort of DrEAMi moments have you had lately?  

I'd love to hear from you...  Leave a comment.

Piece Out,
Melva
Melva Loves Scraps - Home of the Quilters Through The Generations series


Linking with:
Scrap Happy Saturday at Super Scrappy
UFO Busting at Tish’s Wonderland
BOMs Away at What A Hoot Quilts
Sunday Stash at QuiltPaintCreate
What I Made Monday at Pretty Piney
Main Crush Monday at Cookin’ Up Quilts
Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt
Moving It Forward Monday at Em's Scrapbag
2019 Color Challenge at Patterns by Jen
Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
Colour & Inspiration at Clever Chameleon Quilting
Mid-week Makers at Quilt Fabrication
WOW at Esther's Quilt Blog
Wednesday Wait Loss at The Inquiring Quilter
Put Your Foot Down at For the Love of Geese
Needle & Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
Creative Compulsions at Bijou Bead Boutique
Can I Get A Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Off The Wall Friday with Nina Marie
Brag About Your Beauties at From Bolt to Beauty
Peacock Party at Wendy’s Quilts and More

9 comments:

  1. I can hardly wait until my quilting skills progress to where I can deviate from patterns. For now, I'm learning to play with color instead. Your block came out so pretty! I hope this next week if filled with smooth sailing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The block looks good. The fabrics with movement really add to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoo! That quote sure hits me where I live. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just had to make a tote bag for my roomie on a bus trip we took to AQS in Grand Rapids. The day before the trip. Upon my return I decided to drop everything and quilt and bind a top for a friend who is battling breast cancer. So their needs were greater than mine. This week is for my DrEAMI's!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your chosen quote this week! I'm glad you included your special fabric, it's perfect for the marigold theme.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those moments are very common in my room and somehow I manage to accomplish what I envisioned. If you are passionate about something you will make it happen, and you did. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love this block, Melva! That wavy fabric is so perfect for it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quilting play sure is good for weeks like that!! I really love how this block turned out - I think the creative piecing accentuates that gorgeous red wave fabric more than if you'd had enough to do all the red in the wave. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love marigolds--they are so happy. Your block is wonderful! Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete