Monday, February 5, 2018

Ship-Shape

Another quilt was started with the message...

"You don’t happen to have any kids quilts for sale or working on soon."

My response was I am always able to make something! I reviewed some fun choices of fabric that I have in stock (hot air balloons, frogs, trains and playful nautical)...she chose "Playful Nautical".



As I considered pattern and block options I kept coming back to sail boats and pinwheels.

The hunt for a sail boat pattern proved to be much more challenging than I had figured.

I got a bit distracted...




My pattern and magazine collection seemed to have grown to the point of running out of room... Everything was layered two deep (as well as a stack in the closet) and it was impossible to see what was in there!

I pulled everything out, organized the magazines by publication date and put them in their own expandable folders and moved them to a filing cabinet in the basement.




But in that process I uncovered a treasure!



I'm not sure if it is a block pieced by my Maternal Grandmother (Tressie Teegarden) or if it is another stray block that was my Paternal Grandmother's (Katherine Schleich).

After the brief distraction, I then was able to organize the books. Now, I know that the books are still two deep, but I can see what is actually back there! For the most part any way. ;)







All the while, I kept opening the books and magazines looking for sail boats. I located the layout I wanted in a Quiltmaker magazine from 2013, but needed to make a few adjustments to get the quilt a smaller size. Instead of 12 inch and 18 inch blocks













I used 12 inch and 8 inch blocks - of different styles.


I used white flannel as the background fabric in the blocks. The thought that the flannel may shrink more that the cotton fabric crossed my mind...

I am not a pre-washer of quilting fabric so I was not overly concerned and quickly moved on...

I pieced four pin wheels and the border and got it quilted in a jiffy!



I quilted waves into the  sashing strips and the borders. All while I was singing "Yo-ho, yo-ho, a pirates life for me!"  **giggles**  






















So, another quilt done and an additional empty spool... and no worries about the flannel shrinking too much or the reds bleeding -  it all turned out just fine.  Whew...

Time for a new project.  Hmmmm... I wonder what I can find to do?  I may pull out something from my 2018 goal list... Or maybe some improv quilt art... or some secret sewing... or the February Color Challenge block... 

Well, you'll just have to come back to see!

What are you working on?  
I'd love to hear from you...
leave a comment below to let me know.

Happy Quilting,

Melva

linking up with: 
Show Off Saturday at Sew Can She
Main Crush Monday at Cooking Up Quilts
Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt
Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts & Doll Quilts
Moving It Forward at Em's Scrap Bag


6 comments:

  1. What an awesome block to find in your tidy up. The quilt came together beautifully and I look forward to seeing what you work on next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much fun to find that treasure. I love that quilt you made, too, and glad it all cooperated

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome quilt! The border reminds me of buildings and all those boats are sailing into harbor! Awesome quilt! What a precious find in that square! Wow....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very neat quilt! Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That found block is indeed a treasure; one that I'm sure will be hard to uncover or discover the maker. Great sailboat quilt. You...distracted? I'm on my third or fourth level of distracted projects. Right now I'm working on a paper pieced full rose block making it the same size as Tu-Na Helper's mug rug. I found it while writing my last post and just have to make it. And then onto binding my Valentine's quilt.

    ReplyDelete