Thursday, December 17, 2015

These are a Few of My Favorite Things

As I look back over all of the quilts I have made this year a few stand out... And here's why.... 

My Top Five - 


5 - This modern quilt was a new style for me and I loved the batik African-style fabric.


4. - This Patriotic wall hanging is among my favorites because of who it was for - a very special friend - and for what it means to be the Lay Director of a Walk to Emmaus weekend.

3. - This log cabin quilt makes my top 5 ... for a couple reasons - I love log cabin blocks and it covers our bed.  But more than that I love the colors and for sometime I had wanted to make a quilt using the brown/blue combo.  This quilt helped me to become a better quilter... You may notice the mis-placed blocks on the left side of the quilt.  I couldn't just leave them there!  I pulled the stitches that held the blocks in place and then hand sewed them back in, in the proper placement.  It was necessary to do since it was to be part of the quilting tutorials that Bonnie Hunter did for Quiltmaker magazine.


2. - This Air Force Academy quilt features the 2017 graduating class of cadets.  The son of a dear friend graduated from the Academy a few years ago and it continues to hold a special place in my heart... for all of that the cadets do just to be accepted into the Academy, for all of their hard work while a cadet and for what their future hold and the risk involved in their commitment to the Air Force.


  1. - This quilt... actually there are four of them - all are MS quilts in memory of Tracy Valdez, the daughter of a close friend that lost her battle with MS in 2011.  I had donated some blocks to a group, Quilts for MS, in 2014, they had quilt tops made and auctioned them off as a fundraiser.  Tracy's mom, Sandi, purchased two that had a photo block of Tracy on them.  I made two additional quilts so that Sandi's 4 grand-daughters would each have one.

 Grand Prize Winner! ~ This Broken Star quilt was actually one of my least favorite to make, just because of the difficulties I faced in making it.  It was a kit that included inconsistently sized pieces, causing the assembly of the quilt to be the most difficult quilt project I have faced so far.  However, the finished project is beyond astounding!  And I am proud to say I did not quit!  And I can check off one of my "Bucket List" items!


So there you have the run-down of a "few of my favorite things".  Thanks for stopping by!

Blessings,

Melva


See what other quilters are talking about at Quilter Blogs


No comments:

Post a Comment