I also hinted that I was beginning a project for the Addicted to Scraps group through Quiltmaker. All those blue and brown scraps were slated for a quilt, that in my initial idea was only going to be throw sized.
I have changed direction with the layout and plan to make a queen-sized quilt for us! It is looking lovely! Again, you will just have to trust me because I cannot reveal a picture at this time. But I really, really want to!
This quilt requires a total of 108 blocks. I started with gumption! I should have approached it as a marathon, not a sprint. It seemed that after daaaaays of cutting and sewing I still have 40 blocks to complete. Ugh... However, I think I have reached a steady pace and a plan for cutting and piecing the blocks. I have broken down the layout and will approach the whole thing in sections.
Yesterday I completed 20... The day before? 12. Today I hope to get 20 blocks done... well, at least 8 more... the cutting takes a looooong time!
One thing that I can say? This project is certainly a scrap buster! I am running low on brown "scraps", but thanks to a couple of kind and generous quilters in the group who have offered to pass on their brown scraps I know that I will make it. (Quilters have to be among the most caring and sharing people I know! Even when it comes to sharing some of the most coveted things a quilter can have... fabric!)
But none the less, while I was indeed running low on browns, I pulled out some of the larger pieces of fabric (some fat quarters and 1/2 yard cuts) that I had from a collection that I inherited. Success!
Now all I have to do is more cutting... :( cutting of the whites/lights... just 240 pieces and I can sit and sew... and sew and sew and sew... to my little heart's content.
I definitely see the "light" at the end of the tunnel! Whoohoo!
For now I will take a break from piecing blocks and "piece" another scrub top for my daughter and get back at it on Monday morning.